This product is no longer available.
The beautifully weathered surface of this antique English limed oak joint stool circa 1890 gives it a wonderfully appealing presence ... moreThe beautifully weathered surface of this antique English limed oak joint stool circa 1890 gives it a wonderfully appealing presence. This rectangular stool follows the same shape and construction method seen since the sixteenth century where sturdy benches like this were seen in every household. The bench serves as excellent additional seating in a room as well as providing a convenient place to set drinks, food and reading material as it is easily moved anywhere it is needed. This particular bench is unique because of its height which enables it to be used as a small side table as well. Originally the bench was named a "joyned" stool because it is constructed of individual components and then "joyned" together to make a complete piece. Over time the word became shortened into first "joynt" and then the common modern usage and spelling of joint stool. The different terms were important in the past because a wood "joiner" was a different profession from a cabinet maker. A joiner made furniture out of components that may or may not have been made in his own workshop whereas a cabinet maker constructed pieces from beginning to end using his own labour and designs. The four turned legs are set at a slight angle to the top and then joined by stretchers at the base and the apron beneath the seat. The proportion of the four legs is defined by their incised ring turnings that add a subtle decorative dimension to the overall appearance. In addition the apron features a frieze in a guilloche pattern on the two long sides while the shorter sides have a simple grooved decoration. less
- 20ʺW × 10ʺD × 18ʺH
- Late 19th Century
- English Traditional
- Place of Origin
- Good Condition, Vintage / Antique / Used, Original Design Modified, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Wear consistent with age and use. Wear consistent with age and use. less
- Seat Height
- 18.0 inches
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email email@example.com within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.