This beautiful, antique mahogany and cane bergere swivel chair is a rare find. We created a custom loose zebra hide ...
moreThis beautiful, antique mahogany and cane bergere swivel chair is a rare find. We created a custom loose zebra hide cushion and also reupholstered the magnificent arm rests in zebra. The chair bears the stamp of the maker, G. Jacob. Circa France, 18th century.
About Georges Jacob:
"Despite his humble origins, Georges Jacob rose to become one of the most renowned menuisiers of his day. Unlike many artisans who joined their fathers or brothers in the middle-class family trade of furniture making, Jacob was from a peasant family and moved to Paris at sixteen to begin his career. He apprenticed in a joinery workshop and eventually became a master in 1765. He developed a reputation for producing inventive designs for chairs, beds, and screens carved with such motifs as twisted ribbons, guilloches, beading, and fluting. Jacob's reputation grew quickly, eventually spreading outside France; the future King George IV of England, Gustavus III of Sweden, and several German princes all ordered furniture from him.
During the French Revolution, his debts mounted as several of his French clients fled the country or were executed. Despite his aristocratic business connections, which would have provoked suspicion from the revolutionary government, Jacob's friendship with the painter Jacques-Louis David helped him to avoid imprisonment, and he became one of the main suppliers of furniture to the revolutionary government and later to Emperor Napoleon. Jacob retired in 1796, turning his business over to his two sons. When the older son died, Jacob returned to work and watched the firm become one of the most important of the period, supplying pieces to many wealthy residences and employing more than three hundred workmen." - from the J. Paul Getty Museum
24.5" W x 20" D x 39" H x 20.5" Seat Height
The art of one-of-a-kind furniture. We travel the world in search of beautiful designs. When we discover an inspiring piece, we collect it. Each is treated as a blank canvas. Designers select the perfect hide from their unparalleled collection of the finest South African zebra hides, Brazilian cowhides, and New Zealand sheepskins. Working with master upholsterers, the design vision is brought to life, creating what are truly works of art. less
- 24.5ʺW × 20ʺD × 39ʺH
- Mid 18th Century
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Good Condition, Original Design Modified, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Incredible vintage condition. A few tiny breaks to the cane but nothing substantial. This is a breathtakingly beautiful chair. Incredible vintage condition. A few tiny breaks to the cane but nothing substantial. This is a breathtakingly beautiful chair. less
- Place of Origin
- Seat Height
- 20.5 inches
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
Enter a zip code for precise shipping costs.
All sales are final unless covered under the Buyer Guarantee.
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email email@example.com within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.