This beautiful, antique mahogany and cane bergere swivel chair is a rare find. We created a custom loose zebra hide ...
moreThis beautiful, antique mahogany and cane bergere swivel chair is a rare find. We created a custom loose zebra hide cushion and also reupholstered the magnificent arm rests in zebra. The chair bears the stamp of the maker, G. Jacob. Circa France, 18th century.
About Georges Jacob:
"Despite his humble origins, Georges Jacob rose to become one of the most renowned menuisiers of his day. Unlike many artisans who joined their fathers or brothers in the middle-class family trade of furniture making, Jacob was from a peasant family and moved to Paris at sixteen to begin his career. He apprenticed in a joinery workshop and eventually became a master in 1765. He developed a reputation for producing inventive designs for chairs, beds, and screens carved with such motifs as twisted ribbons, guilloches, beading, and fluting. Jacob's reputation grew quickly, eventually spreading outside France; the future King George IV of England, Gustavus III of Sweden, and several German princes all ordered furniture from him.
During the French Revolution, his debts mounted as several of his French clients fled the country or were executed. Despite his aristocratic business connections, which would have provoked suspicion from the revolutionary government, Jacob's friendship with the painter Jacques-Louis David helped him to avoid imprisonment, and he became one of the main suppliers of furniture to the revolutionary government and later to Emperor Napoleon. Jacob retired in 1796, turning his business over to his two sons. When the older son died, Jacob returned to work and watched the firm become one of the most important of the period, supplying pieces to many wealthy residences and employing more than three hundred workmen." - from the J. Paul Getty Museum
24.5" W x 20" D x 39" H x 20.5" Seat Height
The art of one-of-a-kind furniture. We travel the world in search of beautiful designs. When we discover an inspiring piece, we collect it. Each is treated as a blank canvas. Designers select the perfect hide from their unparalleled collection of the finest South African zebra hides, Brazilian cowhides, and New Zealand sheepskins. Working with master upholsterers, the design vision is brought to life, creating what are truly works of art. less
- 24.5ʺW × 20ʺD × 39ʺH
- Mid 18th Century
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Good Condition, Original Design Modified, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Incredible vintage condition. A few tiny breaks to the cane but nothing substantial. This is a breathtakingly beautiful chair. Incredible vintage condition. A few tiny breaks to the cane but nothing substantial. This is a breathtakingly beautiful chair. less
- Place of Origin
- Seat Height
- 20.5 inches
Enter a zip code for precise shipping costs.
20837 does not qualify.
All sales are final unless covered under the Buyer Guarantee.
All sales are final 48 hours after delivery, unless otherwise specified.
Note: Made-to-Order items typically include a lead time or custom delivery window, which is detailed in the product description.
For shipping on all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping may be offered on select listings.
- Smaller items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date, while larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- When an item with Free Shipping is returned, the cost of return shipping fees will be charged to the buyer.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item at the time of pickup and avoid shipping costs.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment is arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and DHL.
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box or envelope may be shipped via parcel.
- Shipping charges start at $9 — and vary based on the size, weight, packaging and the value of the item.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home and placed in the room of your choice (installation and hookup are not included).
- Deliveries may take up to 6 weeks, and up to 8 weeks when either the buyer or seller are located outside of standard shipping routes.
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, size, location of the buyer and seller, and value of the item.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping is offered and managed by the seller, through a shipper of the seller’s choice.
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion.
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery is offered and managed by the seller, within a limited geography.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the confirmation email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery.