Looking to purchase online? Ask the dealer if it's available.
An antique, 19th century French bronze garden urn, signed F.A.D. and after the 17th century model by Claude ...
moreAn antique, 19th century French bronze garden urn, signed F.A.D. and after the 17th century model by Claude Ballin, goldsmith to Louis XIV, for the gardens at Versaille. This urn is one of the thirteen different models on the marble railings that separate the Parterre du Nord and the Parterre d'Eau in Versailles.
Historically significant copies of this Ballin design also resided in the Chateau de Bagatelle in the Bois du Bologne, home to the Fourth Marquess of Hertford, who was allowed to commission copies of the originals in the 19th century, during the reign of Napoleon III. The collection of garden vases at Bagatelle was dispersed later in the 19th century, including this model, which is now in the Wallace Collection.
This beautifully proportioned and detailed urn features handles with the the heads of Janus, each handle supported by a boar's head, and the neck adorned with a deep bas relief band of shells and acorns. The rounded bottom is banded with a Greek key over acorns. The square, signed base is a painted white metal.
By all indications this special piece is a close contemporary of the careful renditions of the Bagatelle era. less
- 26ʺW × 18ʺD × 35ʺH
- Mid 19th Century
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Condition Notes
- Very good to excellent condition. Please refer to the photographs which are highly representative. Very good to excellent condition. Please refer to the photographs which are highly representative. less
- Place of Origin
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email email@example.com within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.