Looking to purchase online? Ask the dealer if it's available.
An exceptional antique French Louis XV period carved oak enfilade circa 1760 from the region of Picardy. This enfilade is ... moreAn exceptional antique French Louis XV period carved oak enfilade circa 1760 from the region of Picardy. This enfilade is featured on the cover of the defining book published in french on furniture from the region of Picardy and a copy of the book is included with the enfilade. Picardy is located in the north of France with its largest city being Amiens. This region has a distinctive cultural flavour and includes two of the most famous Gothic cathedrals located in Amiens and Beauvais. The timber used in the construction of this enfilade is oak which was a native wood of this region and highly prized for its strength, durability and ability to retain a sharp edge when carved. There are several factors that enable this piece to be dated toward the end of the reign of Louis XV (1723-1774) primarily the symmetrical placement of the three cabinet doors and two drawers, the pair of panels that separate the doors and the use of a horizontal frieze beneath the top that features a pattern of interlocking ribbons known as "guilloche". The apron between the two front cabriole shaped feet has a pleasing undulation and note that it two has a symmetrical pattern in the curved pattern. Each of the front corners have a rounded profile and consist of a single piece of oak timber with a recessed vertical panel defined by a moulded edge. This visual enhancement of the curve was necessary as the light in the room came only from firelight and candlelight. The change in profile across the entire facade of this cabinet was designed to take advantage of the available light and use it to greatest effect. Each of the three doors are rectangular in shape with a handsome series of mouldings that frame the elegant series of scrolls along the top. Notice that the left and right door have opposing scrollwork while the centre door has the same pattern as the right door. This was always a stylistic choice the designer made when carving the cabinet and appears as a true sign of pieces made during the reign of Louis XV. When looking at the pair of carved panels between the cabinet doors it is interesting to note that they are recessed where the cabinet doors are affixed with hinges that enable them to stand forward of the enfilade. Again it is a change in the profile that enhances the effect of flames that would be flickering in the room. Each panel is carved with a tall vase with handles with a handsome balanced bouquet sprouting up and out from the neck of the vase. Above each of these panels are drawers that have a circular medallion with a carved design and a circular ring pull to allow them each to be opened. Behind the three cabinet doors is a shelf to provide useful and secure storage as these doors may only be opened with a key. The sides each have a rectangular recessed panel and the top boards have a slight curve to them as they are almost two hundred and fifty years old. As wood is an organic material it shows the passage of time with a slight desire to torque but superior cabinet makers were aware of this tendency and utilized methods to counteract this movement. This is an extraordinary example of period French furniture with the added benefit of being a seminal piece from a particular region. Its original use as a cabinet for storage with a serving surface continues to be its primary function and the warmth of the colour and gleam of the antique patina is totally enchanting. This enfilade will be a wonderful piece to anchor the design of a variety of rooms. less
- 94ʺW × 22ʺD × 38ʺH
- Mid 18th Century
- Place of Origin
- Vintage / Antique / Used, Original Condition Unaltered, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
Wear consistent with age and use.
Wear consistent with age and use.
- Brown Credenzas & Sideboards
- French Credenzas & Sideboards
- Gothic Credenzas & Sideboards
- Houston Credenzas & Sideboards
- Lights Credenzas & Sideboards
- Louis XV Credenzas & Sideboards
- Oak Credenzas & Sideboards
- Shabby Chic Credenzas & Sideboards
- Timber Credenzas & Sideboards
- Traditional Credenzas & Sideboards
- Wood Credenzas & Sideboards
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email firstname.lastname@example.org within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.