Looking to purchase online? Ask the dealer if it's available.
Artist and professor of Kurashiki University of Science and The Arts. Born 1930 in Fukuyama-city, Hiroshima Prefecture. Awarded the Yasui ... moreArtist and professor of Kurashiki University of Science and The Arts. Born 1930 in Fukuyama-city, Hiroshima Prefecture. Awarded the Yasui Prize for his work "Tsuki no Michi" (The Moon's Pathway) in 1961. In 1963 was invited as a research fellow by the Italian government and moved to Italy. In 1987, awarded the Minister of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology Awards for Art and in 1994 received the Purple Ribbon Medal. In 2003 Takahashi opened his atelier in Sami, Kurashiki where he has decided to live permanently. The Beach of Sami at Tamashima, Kurashiki-city, as its name denotes, is small and yet a beautiful beach. (In fact, this beach had been the birthplace of sea bathing as a medical treatment in Japan. It is also known as a historic site and has been designated as one of "Japan's One Hundred Most Beautiful Beaches.") At the tip of this beach - a scenic spot facing the islands of Setouchi - is the atelier of an internationally known artist. Ever since he moved to Italy in 1963, Shu Takahashi has continued his artistic activities in Rome (where this painted was executed) and as an artist has received much international recognition. He was born in the city of Fukuyama in Hiroshima Prefecture and assumed office as the professor of Kurashiki University of Science and The Arts in 1995. In 2003 exactly 40 years after his migration to Italy, he returned to Setouchi where he established a home in Sami. At present, along with his creative activities, he puts all his effort into raising the next generation. His teachings at the university have no boundaries, imparting the very essence of art to people of all ages from one to the next. "After all, the culture of Kurashiki is still very provincial. I have been working on it hoping that it would eventually view matters with a wider perspective," says Professor Takahashi insinuating his impatience. To counter the state of "over-concentrated culture" in Tokyo, he inaugurated the "Kurashiki Modern Art Biennale in West Japan." He did this in order to promote Kurashiki as a place of transmission for new art and in order to guide young artists. This was not for the whole of Japan, nor was it aimed at prefectures or at the provincial areas such as the Chugoku and Kyushu districts. This act of distinguishing West Japan (all areas west of the Kinki Region) from the others has the effect of undermining the current Tokyo-centered set of values. The first biennial exhibition did receive several entries with some encouraging results. However, Professor Takahashi thinks that the problems such as the city's budgetary restraints and its management are but a few of several issues that need to be solved in the near future. As chairman of the steering committee, he had this to say: "If, for example, we offered the latest grand prize winner to hold an exhibition at a museum, then upon accepting this challenge, what can be said of his competence as an artist? Had this been a selection based on such anticipations?" Professor Takahashi does not want the young to be satisfied with the provincial level of quality. Wherever (in Kurashiki, in Tokyo, or in Rome) he resides, he expects that artist pursue beauty in earnest. ~ABC ARTE. less
- 48ʺW × 1ʺD × 48ʺH
- Place of Origin
- Condition Notes
- Good, Intended crazing on surface. Good, Intended crazing on surface. less
- Art Subject
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email firstname.lastname@example.org within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.