Looking to purchase online? Ask the dealer if it's available.
Pair of large 18th century Anduze jars. 'Jarres d'Anduze,' signed by maker, Henry Gautier, and dated 1790. Sold together as ...
morePair of large 18th century Anduze jars. 'Jarres d'Anduze,' signed by maker, Henry Gautier, and dated 1790. Sold together as a pair for $16,000.
These jars are robust inverted bell-shape forms adorned by garlands and medallions, atop round pedestal bases. Remnants of green, brown and ochre yellow glaze embellish their surfaces.
Their design is a product of many different crafting traditions centered in Provence and Languedoc, and its development is linked to the production of citrus fruits that need to be brought indoors during the winter to prevent freezes, and therefore not to be planted directly in the soil. The earliest known dated Anduze jar is from 1782 and signed by a member of the Gautier family.
Considered elegant pottery, similar Anduze jars, decorate some of the most beautiful houses and castles in the south of France. While originally intended for the ornamentation of gardens and terraces, today these jars look equally stunning within interior spaces - perhaps flanking a doorway or on a landing. less
- 29ʺW × 29ʺD × 32ʺH
- Late 18th Century
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Good Condition, Original Condition Unaltered, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Excellent. Wear consistent with age and use. Losses to glazed finish. Old expert repair to foot of one jar. Excellent. Wear consistent with age and use. Losses to glazed finish. Old expert repair to foot of one jar. less
- Place of Origin
All sales are final 48 hours after delivery, unless otherwise specified.
Note: Made-to-Order items typically include a lead time or custom delivery window, which is detailed in the product description.
For shipping on all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping may be offered on select listings.
- Smaller items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date, while larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- When an item with Free Shipping is returned, the cost of return shipping fees will be charged to the buyer.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item at the time of pickup and avoid shipping costs.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment is arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and DHL.
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box or envelope may be shipped via parcel.
- Shipping charges start at $9 — and vary based on the size, weight, packaging and the value of the item.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home and placed in the room of your choice (installation and hookup are not included).
- Deliveries may take up to 6 weeks, and up to 8 weeks when either the buyer or seller are located outside of standard shipping routes.
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, size, location of the buyer and seller, and value of the item.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping is offered and managed by the seller, through a shipper of the seller’s choice.
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion.
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery is offered and managed by the seller, within a limited geography.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the confirmation email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery.