This product is no longer available.
The simple lines of this antique English George III oak desk circa 1760 demonstrates the wonderful skill of eighteenth century ... moreThe simple lines of this antique English George III oak desk circa 1760 demonstrates the wonderful skill of eighteenth century cabinet makers in marrying form and function. Created at a time when personal correspondence was a daily practice this oak slant front desk features a lock and key to keep the interior contents private. Because this English oak desk was designed to remain closed (opened only when when the desk was actually being used) the exterior is embellished with mahogany cross banding on both the slant front as well as the drawer. Mahogany, a luxury element as it was imported from abroad as opposed to being a native timber like oak, added a handsome contrast to the oak because of its colour and close, tight grain. The geometric diamond shaped lozenge set into the centre of the slant front is also highlighted with an ebonized timber that gives it greater visual emphasis. The single drawer located beneath the slant front has a beaded and raised edge and retains its original pierced brass handles. The warm reflective gleam of the antique brass is a lovely complement to the lustrous patina of the oak used in this English antique desk. Situated on either side of ther drawer is a loper that slided in and out to support the weight of the slant top writing surface. When opened and resting upon the lopers the slant front presents a large area for writing activity. Please notice the storage compartments at the rear of the interior including six drawers (with original pulls) and seven open sections all faced with mahogany and ebonized timber details. When opened the slant front is 31" high from the floor and able to accommodate any type of armchair. The entire desk stands upon four tapered legs and was designed to be seen from the front as well as both sides. less
- 36ʺW × 24ʺD × 41ʺH
- Mid 18th Century
- Place of Origin
- Good Condition, Vintage / Antique / Used, Original Condition Unaltered, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- excellent excellent less
- Table Shape
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email firstname.lastname@example.org within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.