A beautiful bronze sculpture of the Roman goddess Tyche cast in France circa 1865. This figure is also known as ... moreA beautiful bronze sculpture of the Roman goddess Tyche cast in France circa 1865. This figure is also known as the Roman goddess of good fortune called Minerva. Please notice the beautiful "contraposto" stance where the right leg is bent at the knee. This classical pose was designed to accentuate the curves of the body with the knee, hip and shoulder creating a sense of dynamic movement. The most famous example is the statue of David at the Accademia in Florence. This figure has a headdress that draws attention to the thick and lustrous hair of the goddess. She is holding the folds of her garment close to her body and the sculptor has taken advantage of the pose to drape the fabric in a series of cascading folds. The garment is fully modeled indicating this sculpture was designed to be viewed from all sides, not just the front. Because this is a nineteenth century representation of an ancient goddess pay particular attention to the laurel wreath she holds in her right hand. It supports a tablet in the shape of a modified shield that shows three plumes or quills. These additions to a classical figure are an excellent example of the manner in which the French sought to co-opt the values and traditions of ancient Greece and Rome to add legitimacy to their hold on power. Anybody with an education knew without an explanation what a particular figure represented. A sculpture of this scale and fine detail was often seen in the public rooms of an upper class household where its presence would confer a range of positive attributes upon the residents. less
- 5ʺW × 4.7ʺD × 14ʺH
- Late 19th Century
- Place of Origin
- Good Condition, Vintage / Antique / Used, Original Condition Unaltered, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
Wear consistent with age and use.
Wear consistent with age and use.
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
All sales are final unless covered under the Buyer Guarantee.
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email email@example.com within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.