A fantastic neoclassical carved wooden candle stand with the original painted finish from Italy c.1890. Please use the zoom ... moreA fantastic neoclassical carved wooden candle stand with the original painted finish from Italy c.1890. Please use the zoom feature offered on our website to see the exceptional details that give this candle stand its unique appeal. Because this candle stand was always meant to be viewed from any direction the handsome architectural capital shows its Ionic column capital in each of the four separate corners. As the designer of this candle stand was well aware of the ruins of classical civilization the proportions of the both the column and the capital as well as the base and top platform where the candle stood are perfectly in scale to one another. This awareness is seen in the section above the capitals where the flat surface has an inverted profile on each of the four sides with the widest area over the scrolls of the capital and the more narrow inverted sections above the column itself. Note how the edge has a shaped and moulded edge as opposed to a mere squared off edge. The column has its own beauty with a fluted edge highlighted with interior carved details on the lower sections of each separate flute as well as that unique slight bulge known as "entasis" (from the early Greek) to the column itself. As the diametre of the column decreases as the column moves upward the slight bulge corrects the visual appearance of the column as a whole. The base of the column is defined by two separate and circular ring turnings before the column reaches the square base upon which it rests. The uniform square base to this column is directly taken from the classical order of architecture and provides an extremely pleasing visual finish to the overall piece. There is again a movement of wider and more narrow sections that create interest along with a handsome section of horizontal moulding distinguished by not only a fluted design but also a crossed ribbon placed in the centre of each side. The original painted finish remains upon the surface of this piece and the use of both a creamy white accentuated by a luscious green highlights the carved decorative motifs in a very effective manner. The variegated surface of the painted finish adds enormously to the appeal of this candle stand and enables it to be used as a piece of sculpture on its own or as an actual candle stick where a burning candle will enhance its beauty. less
- 9.25ʺW × 9.25ʺD × 39ʺH
- Late 19th Century
- Place of Origin
- Good Condition, Vintage / Antique / Used, Original Condition Unaltered, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Excellent! Wear consistent with age and use. Excellent! Wear consistent with age and use. less
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
All sales are final unless covered under the Buyer Guarantee.
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email firstname.lastname@example.org within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.