A pair of extraordinary cast iron door stops with an entire portrait bust of Medusa encircled by serpents in a ... moreA pair of extraordinary cast iron door stops with an entire portrait bust of Medusa encircled by serpents in a sinuous design from Italy c.1870. These extraordinary depictions of the famous Medusa painted at the end of the sixteenth century by Caravaggio rendered in cast iron are quite unique and startling in their intensity just as the original remains. The entire shape with the wide base with a scalloped front edge that tapered to a point at the top recalls the pleasing quality of classical proportions seen in the architectural ruins of Greece and Rome. The invention of cast iron in the nineteenth century facilitated a rapid transformation of both industrial and domestic products that had either been prohibitively expensive to produce or plain impractical in execution. Cast iron, so named for its ability to be heated to a melting point that allowed it to flow evenly into a mould and assume the desired shape, became a favourite material when producing useful and functional domestic household items that needed to be strong and durable. because a mould could be created to offer any shape an extraordinary array of designs were made to recreate both natural materials as well as artistic interpretations. Please use the zoom feature on our website to see the amazing accuracy and detail on these pieces. The original black painted finish remains as cast iron needs to be sealed in order not to oxidize. The sculptural impact of these door stops transforms them into more than every day objects and enables them to be displayed in a cabinet or table top where their unusual design and power may be fully appreciated. less
- 9.5ʺW × 4ʺD × 10.5ʺH
- Late 19th Century
- Place of Origin
- Good Condition, Vintage / Antique / Used, Original Condition Unaltered, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Wear consistent with age and use. Wear consistent with age and use. less
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
All sales are final unless covered under the Buyer Guarantee.
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email firstname.lastname@example.org within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.