A solid cast iron plaque from France c. 1885 featuring an homage to the age of chivalry and bravery in ... moreA solid cast iron plaque from France c. 1885 featuring an homage to the age of chivalry and bravery in battle. Please notice the shield which is divided into quarters with the upper left featuring a trio of bold fleur-de-lys and the lower right featuring a quartet of swords or daggers with a fleur-de-lys, set above the shaft of the blade. The helmet is seen in profile and the design dates it to the late 1400's to early 1500's when full body armour was necessary both for war as well as for jousting tournaments. The extravagant plume seen extending from the helmet was a common addition as it served to identify the person inside the helmet. Set at a crossed angle behind the shield is a substantial axe on a wooden shaft with the curved blade fully visible. Set at the other angle is a large spear with a wicked double sided shaft that ends in a point. Below the shield are the ends of both battle implements bound by a rope and tassels on the left and a large foliate flourish on the right. It is important to notice the great detail and full three dimensional impact of this decorative plaque as it packs real visual power. This piece was originally bolted to a wall of either paneling or stone as seen by the four holes. The polished iron is highly reflective and is a wonderful example of nineteenth century decorative iron work. less
- 15.25ʺW × 1.5ʺD × 19.75ʺH
- Late 19th Century
- Place of Origin
- Good Condition, Vintage / Antique / Used, Original Condition Unaltered, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
Wear consistent with age and use.
Wear consistent with age and use.
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
All sales are final unless covered under the Buyer Guarantee.
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email email@example.com within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.