A pair of Empire style bronze doré and patinated bronze candlesticks from the Louis Philippe period in France c. 1850 ... moreA pair of Empire style bronze doré and patinated bronze candlesticks from the Louis Philippe period in France c. 1850. This handsome pair of candlesticks reflects the interest in neoclassicism that began at the end of the eighteenth century and extended through the reign of Napoleon in the Empire period at the beginning of the nineteenth century. The square plinth base on each candlestick is a direct reference to the architectural standards seen in the ruins of ancient Greece and Rome whose rediscovery through the excavations at Pompeii and Herculaneum during the eighteenth century swept through Europe and England with direct effect upon architecture and interior design. As each square plinth base ascends the squares become smaller until a large panel appears on each of the four sides bearing a raised laurel wreath secured by a fluttering ribbon. An intriguing question without an answer is that one candlestick has the ribbon at the top of each wreath while the other candlestick has the ribbon supporting the base of each wreath. This slight alteration in placement adds to the allure of these candlesticks. Both candlesticks feature a central ribbed column made of patinated bronze that rises straight from the base to the top where they each support a very decorative Corinthian capital. The even placement of the ribs around the entire circumference of the columns is the same as seen in those columns made of marble in Italy and the change in material adds terrific visual impact to the overall appearance of the candlesticks. The flared shape of the candle nozzle that mimics the capital of a marble column is also in bronze dore as is the base and this reflective sheen gives the candlesticks an impressive air of luxury. The use of gilding reached its height during the eighteenth century amongst all the aristocracies of the western world for the simple reason that gold was expensive and it never tarnished but retained its glittering effect wherever it was used. These candlesticks retain their impressive stature while their graphic neoclassical shape blend seamlessly in a twenty-first century interior. less
- 3.75ʺW × 3.75ʺD × 9.25ʺH
- Mid 19th Century
- Place of Origin
- Good Condition, Vintage / Antique / Used, Original Condition Unaltered, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Wear consistent with age and use. Wear consistent with age and use. less
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
All sales are final unless covered under the Buyer Guarantee.
- Black Candle Holders
- Bronze Candle Holders
- Bronze Candle Holders
- Empire Candle Holders
- French Candle Holders
- Gold Candle Holders
- Gold Candle Holders
- Houston Candle Holders
- Marble Candle Holders
- Metal Candle Holders
- Neoclassical Candle Holders
- Shabby Chic Candle Holders
- Stone Candle Holders
- Traditional Candle Holders
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email firstname.lastname@example.org within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.