An imposing antique silver gilt Italian candle stand circa 1890 now converted to a floor lamp. Please look at the ... moreAn imposing antique silver gilt Italian candle stand circa 1890 now converted to a floor lamp. Please look at the scale of this floor lamp that sits upon an elevated square base and has a column reminiscent of those used in both exterior and interior architecture. The relationship in size between the height of the column and the diametre gives this candle stand its pleasing stature. Using the zoom feature on our website please enlarge the additional photographs to see the handsome details that give this floor lamp its decorative appeal. The entire candle stand retains its original silver leaf finish with areas where the silver leaf reveals the wooden structure as well as the coating of gesso that gives silver and gold leaf its unique visual texture. The seductive lustre and reflective aspect of the silver leaf creates a glamorous glow whether the lamp is illuminated or seen unlit during the day. Look closely at the four circular feet beneath each corner of the square base to see that they each have the same shape as one of the sections on the upper part of the column. This repetition of the same shape gives a sense of coherence to the entire appearance of the candle stand and is one of the defining features seen in the ruins of the ancient civilizations of Greece and Rome that retain their enormous influence in architecture and the decorative arts. The entire column and base are circular in shape and consist of both turned ring sections interspersed with broad and smooth sections. The change in profile between the two give the lamp visual interest and mimic the support function achieved by true architectural columns. There is a very interesting aspect to the section of the column beneath the wide circular drip pan beneath the candle nozzle at the top as this long section is slightly more narrow at the base and the top with the middle section having a slight outward flare. This slight bulge is known as "entasis" and is a characteristic of the earliest remaining columns ever constructed by man. Originally the topmost section of the candle stand was used to set a large candle within its opening while the wide flat dish was placed below to capture any wax dripping from a burning candle. This part is known as the "nozzle" and is seen on any candle stick no matter how tiny or how grand. Take a look at the top of the smooth column section as it ends in a simple ring motif before connecting to the upper candle section. The horizontal area is a separate piece of silver gilded wood that is in the shape of an flat octagon and is the only area of the candle stand to have a straight edge besides the square base. It is this slight alteration in what is expected that gives this particular piece its charm. Now of course the candle stand has been rewired as a floor lamp with the nozzle fitted with a socket for a three way standard bulb. This fitting gives maximum flexibility in the amount of light it is able to cast within an interior to create a variety of moods. In addition the lamp has a dramatic black paper drum shade that gives it a modern edge and focuses the light directly upon the antique candle stand itself in a dramatic fashion. less
- 18ʺW × 18ʺD × 72ʺL
- Late 19th Century
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Good Condition, Original Condition Unaltered, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Wear consistent with age and use. Wear consistent with age and use. less
- Place of Origin
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
Enter a zip code for precise shipping costs.
All sales are final unless covered under the Buyer Guarantee.
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email firstname.lastname@example.org within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.