Antique Italian Baroque Painted Two Drawer Chest, circa 1750. The softly undulating facade of this chest that stands upon cabriole ... moreAntique Italian Baroque Painted Two Drawer Chest, circa 1750. The softly undulating facade of this chest that stands upon cabriole legs showcases a unique combination of profile along with a delicately painted finish to create a uniquely refined appearance. Please enlarge all the photographs to see exactly how this chest was designed to be seen from a full 180 degree span. The easiest way to appreciate this aspect is to focus on the angle of the four legs. Notice how each gently curved leg was placed at a fourty five degree angle to the top ensuring that the full profile of the leg is visible from all directions. The slender elegance of each leg is enhanced by the curve of the cabriole that ends in a claw grasping a pearl. This motif was quite familiar to the upper classes throughout Europe in the late seventeenth and early eighteenth centuries as it was often seen on the lavish porcelain from China imported at great expense for aristocratic collections. The legend of the dragon that roamed the heavens while grasping the pearl of knowledge was associated with the Imperial family of China. The front of the chest as well with its gentle curves also has a name associated with the aristocratic sport of archery called "arbalette" named after a particular type of bow. The cabinet making skill required to assemble a chest like this was rare as this level of workmanship was extremely time consuming. In order to be successful all of the separate elements had to be carefully balanced to achieve the correct combination of scale and proportion as seen here. Another clue to the age of the chest lies in the placement and of the two drawers. The two drawers are not separated by a horizontal support bar but instead flow seamlessly from top to bottom. The more familiar term is known as "sans traverse", French for without a traverse. This was a difficult technique as it required more internal ingenuity to achieve and so the "sans traverse" cabinet making method was reserved for the highest quality pieces. After the construction of the chest was complete the painted design had to be planned and executed. In the early eighteenth century outdoor activities including hunting parties and festive gatherings of nobles were common pursuits and the depiction of such activities were the subject of paintings, engravings and prints. On this chest two such scenes are painted with the uppermost being a hunting party while the lower scene is more festive with mixed company. The celebration of good fortune and the happiness of leisure is quite apparent in both scenes and reflects the idyllic life enjoyed by the upper class. The additional painted decoration seen on the corners uses natural organic motifs from nature as a reminder of warmer days to come while shivering in the depths of winter in northern Italy. Of course during this time there was no such thing as Italy but rather a collection of duchies including Parma, Naples and the Veneto among others. The modern entity of Italy did not arrive until the 1860's. Because this chest was made when only firelight and candle light provided illumination at night the predominant colour is quite light with all of the edges enhanced with gilding. The reflective quality of the painted surface was essential in a dark room and this chest possesses a lightness of scale that remains enchanting. In a modern interior, whether contemporary or traditional, this chest will add a note of refined European sensibility that remains as potent today as it was over two hundred and fifty years ago. less
- 41ʺW × 19ʺD × 31.5ʺH
- Mid 18th Century
- Place of Origin
- Vintage / Antique / Used, Original Condition Unaltered, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Wear consistent with age and use. Wear consistent with age and use. less
More From This DealerView All
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email firstname.lastname@example.org within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.