An ancient indenture from England c.1800 enclosed in the original frame. The term "indenture" first appeared in the thirteenth ... moreAn ancient indenture from England c.1800 enclosed in the original frame. The term "indenture" first appeared in the thirteenth century and referred to the use of a legal document that was copied twice on the same page and then separated by a jagged, sawtooth edge (in-dent ((for tooth))- ture) that could be later fitted back together to confirm the authenticity of the document for verifying the legality of the agreement. Primarily these documents confirmed the transfer of land and titles or debt from one party to another. Written by hand and affixed with red wax imprinted with the seals of a designated official these documents make for fascinating records of the movement of wealth throughout society. Every transfer of any importance needed an indenture and the resultant continued existence of these documents show their value and worth. In the twenty-first century though these pieces also possess an intrinsic artistic appeal with their individual calligraphy, arrangement of large and small writing and the vivid colour of the wax seals with their unique appearance all combining to create a visual distinctiveness that is quite striking. Whether displayed alone or as part of a larger collection their wonderfully antique qualities translate seamlessly to create a marvelous sense of texture when incorporated into a contemporary design. less
- 19ʺW × 0.75ʺD × 15.75ʺH
- Early 19th Century
- Place of Origin
- Good Condition, Vintage / Antique / Used, Original Condition Unaltered, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Wear consistent with age and use. Wear consistent with age and use. less
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
All sales are final unless covered under the Buyer Guarantee.
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email firstname.lastname@example.org within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.