The elegant decoration on this antique French mirror circa 1880 is placed in a symmetrical manner with both raised and ... moreThe elegant decoration on this antique French mirror circa 1880 is placed in a symmetrical manner with both raised and etched sections. This antique Louis Philippe gold leaf mirror has the rounded shoulders at the top and rectangular base indicative of the Louis Philippe style but has been further embellished to enhance its visual appeal. The outside edge of the frame is highlighted with a ribbon twist pattern that extends around the entire perimeter while in each of the four corners the mirror has a section featuring an arrangement of flowers with the lower corners making a sharp angle and the upper corners following the gentle curve of the frame. There is a blossom with five petals set at the centre of each floral spray with the scale of the flowers diminishing as the flowers move away from the corner. The background of the flowers is a matte finish chosen to highlight the sculptural dimensions of the flowers as well as provide a contrast with the brilliantly reflective gold leaf seen elsewhere on the mirror frame. Situated in the centre between each of the corners are smaller sections featuring an etched pattern of a vine with leaves and open blossoms repeating the theme seen in the raised corner sections. Again the artisan of this mirror has used a combination of polished and matte gold leaf to give contrast to the design. There is also symbol of luxury used in this mirror which is the slender ribbon of half spheres seen adjacent to the mirror. This pattern is known as "les perles" in France and symbolizes the incredible value possessed by natural pearls before the invention of cultured pearls. The time and expense needed to acquire a set of matched natural pearls was prohibitive to all but the wealthiest. This motif became shorthand for identifying the value of rarity and luxury and is sen in many frames and mouldings in France. This mirror has the original mirror glas with its customary fogging and speckles that add depth and dimension to antique mirror adding to its desirability. While the mirror does have some excellent decoration it is overall a simple piece that gives it great leeway to be used in a variety of interiors. less
- 37ʺW × 3ʺD × 58.5ʺH
- Late 19th Century
- Place of Origin
- Good Condition, Vintage / Antique / Used, Original Condition Unaltered, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Excellent! Wear consistent with age and use. Excellent! Wear consistent with age and use. less
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
All sales are final unless covered under the Buyer Guarantee.
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email firstname.lastname@example.org within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.