An oil on panel painting by American painter, D. Jerome Elwell (1847-1912) depicting a pastoral scene of a Winslow Homer-ish ... moreAn oil on panel painting by American painter, D. Jerome Elwell (1847-1912) depicting a pastoral scene of a Winslow Homer-ish boy in straw hat herding cows in a pasture, with a farm building and beautifully rendered trees and sky above. Signed and dated 'D. Herome Elwell 1888' lower right and inscribed by the artist au verso (View 8) 'Breezy Day, Woodmont Conn 1888 D Jerome Elwell', also retaining a late 19th century pen and ink on paper label on the back (View 7). In a new gilded oak frame. BIOGRAPHICAL INFORMATION ON D. JEROME ELWELL “Breezy Day, Woodmont, Connecticut, 1888” Oil on panel. Signed lower right and inscribed au verso. Framed dimensions: Height: 51 1/8” Width: 34 5/8” Elwell, Jerome D. [Marine painter] b. June 12, 1847 Gloucester, MA; d. 1912 Naples, Italy. Studied: Possibly a pupil, or copyist, of Fitz Hugh (Henry) Lane. Exhibited: Boston Arts Club, 1873-91; Art Institute of Chicago, 1888; Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Art, 1889. Work: Cape Ann Museum, Gloucester, MA and the Peabody Essex Museum, Salem, MA. Comments: Also appears as D. Gerome Ewell. He did watercolors, pastels and drawings. Some of his Belgian work, which was early, was dark. His pastels, which were on brown paper, came later and were done in Venice under the influence of Whistler. Sources: Brewington, Dictionary of Marine Artists, 127; The Boston Arts Club; Falk, Exhibition Record Series. less
- 34.63ʺW × 1.5ʺD × 51ʺH
- Late 19th Century
- D. Jerome Elwell
- Place of Origin
- United States of America
- Good Condition, Vintage / Antique / Used, Original Condition Unaltered, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Good condition. Wear consistent with age and use. Warpage to panel as seen in View 10. The painting has been ... moreGood condition. Wear consistent with age and use. Warpage to panel as seen in View 10. The painting has been professionally cleaned. This is a dark painting, in the manner of Rembrandt and the Dutch School. Newly framed. less
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
All sales are final unless covered under the Buyer Guarantee.
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email firstname.lastname@example.org within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.