Looking to purchase online? Ask the dealer if it's available.
A very special piece: a rare Italian polychrome commode, in demilune shape, having three drawers over a scalloped apron and ...
moreA very special piece: a rare Italian polychrome commode, in demilune shape, having three drawers over a scalloped apron and on cabriole legs. The drawers decorated with urns and garland swags suspended by ribbons and faces and punctuated with birds. Each side of the commode with an oval medallion and the apron centered with a basket of fruit. The top with only remnants of paint. Locks original, which we have had reworked and fitted with keys.
The commode reflects a transitional period for furniture in the second half of the 18th century: the scalloped apron and cabriole legs being from the rococo era and the highly symmetrical painted decoration, the demilune shape and simply molded drawers harbingers of the emerging neoclassical taste, resulting in a piece that is both charming and elegant. The entire case is in original condition (drawer linings, back, etc.) and due to the ambitious form of the bowed front with drawers, the drawers fronts no longer conform to the case, creating a space between the molded drawer edges and the front of the commode. See image 4. Paint original, though we suspect the medallions were painted over at some point in time. less
- 49.5ʺW × 24.25ʺD × 41.5ʺH
- Early 18th Century
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Condition Notes
- Very good, see description, above Very good, see description, above less
All sales are final 48 hours after delivery, unless otherwise specified.
Note: Made-to-Order items typically include a lead time or custom delivery window, which is detailed in the product description.
For shipping on all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping may be offered on select listings.
- Smaller items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date, while larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- When an item with Free Shipping is returned, the cost of return shipping fees will be charged to the buyer.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item at the time of pickup and avoid shipping costs.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment is arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and DHL.
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box or envelope may be shipped via parcel.
- Shipping charges start at $9 — and vary based on the size, weight, packaging and the value of the item.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home and placed in the room of your choice (installation and hookup are not included).
- Deliveries may take up to 6 weeks, and up to 8 weeks when either the buyer or seller are located outside of standard shipping routes.
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, size, location of the buyer and seller, and value of the item.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping is offered and managed by the seller, through a shipper of the seller’s choice.
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion.
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery is offered and managed by the seller, within a limited geography.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the confirmation email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery.