This product is no longer available.
A simply stunning image of Buddha Maravijaya. Depicting the Buddha's triumphant moment of victory after conquering the demon king Mara ... moreA simply stunning image of Buddha Maravijaya. Depicting the Buddha's triumphant moment of victory after conquering the demon king Mara, the seducer, tempter and lord of worldly desires, and his vast demon army. Cast in bronze and richly lacquered and gilt with gold leafing, the Buddha is portrayed seated in virasana upon a raised double lotus pedestal. A sash draped over one shoulder, and the patchwork robes of a monk wrapped loosely around him, leaving one shoulder bare. A dense floral and stellate design in low relief covers the entirety of his robes. His hair arranged in neat rows of tight curls rising to a pronounced ushnisha. He gazes straight ahead, hands in Maravijaya mudra. While most images of the Buddha portray him in bhumisparsha, with his hand touching the earth to symbolize the moment of enlightenment, this image shows him still as Siddhartha Gautama, the young man. He is captured in the instant before he reaches enlightenment to become the historical Shakyamuni Buddha. His right hand rests gently on his knee, reaching down, but not quite yet touching the earth. His left hand still in his lap from meditation. A smile barely visible on his lips, with the knowledge of his forthcoming enlightenment. The bronze thickly cast using the lost wax method, then lacquered with layers of red and black lacquer, and finally finished with several layers of thick gold leaf. The thick, uneven texture of the gold leaf gilding suggests that this image has seen many years of veneration, and has been re-gilded many times. A small ring attachment to the back of the statue to secure a canopy, now missing. The plinth supporting the double lotus pedestal originally bore an inscription at the center, which has been obscured by a layer of lacquer and gilt decoration. less
- 13ʺW × 9ʺD × 20.5ʺH
- Early 19th Century
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Condition Notes
- GOOD Very good condition for age. Slight loss to the gold leaf and lacquer, especially around the chin area. The ... moreGOOD Very good condition for age. Slight loss to the gold leaf and lacquer, especially around the chin area. The flame that would have topped the ushnisha missing. The original inscription has been removed and covered with gilt lacquer less
- Art Subject
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email firstname.lastname@example.org within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.