This Secretaire a Abattant is the in French Empire style and is veneered in Cuban acajou mahogany, with bronze dore ...
moreThis Secretaire a Abattant is the in French Empire style and is veneered in Cuban acajou mahogany, with bronze dore mounts and a gray Saint Anne marble top. The piece has three lower drawers which are lockable (key included) and the single hidden drawer at the top. The interior has five document and accessory storage drawers. The fall-front (which locks) retains its original tooled leather border (with a Greek-Key pattern) and a later replacement dark green felt . The bronze dore mounts on the drawers are cornucopias which symbolize bounty. The fall-front has a mount with scrolling roses and foliage. There are two mounts with a male and female profile. The male has a baby owl on his helmet which symbolizes wisdom....and hanging from the females hair-band is a peacock which symbolizes the ability to see all.
Please feel free to contact us directly for a shipping quote, or other questions and information including making an offer by clicking "Contact Dealer."
The fall front desk can be considered the cousin of the secretary desk. Both have a main working surface or desktop which does double duty as a cover to seal up papers and other items located in small shelves or small drawers placed one on top of the other in front of the user. Thus, all working papers, documents and other items have to be stored before the desk is closed. Unlike the secretary desk, the fall front desk's desktop panel is in a perfectly vertical position when in its closed position. Often, there are no additional shelves or drawers above the section which is enclosed by the desktop. Thus, the fall front desk is identical in shape to a Bargueño desk which would have been placed on a stand of drawers, or more precisely to the form known as Desk on a chest or as "chest-on chest". The fall front desk is also called a drop front desk or drop-front desk, and sometimes also a drop lid desk. Scrutoire and scriptoire are ancient variations. The "secrétaire à abattant" is a nearly identical form, but usually in a French style such as Louis XV, Empire, Art Deco, etc. In the early 19th century, Shaker communities produced a tall and plain variation which is often known as a "cupboard desk". less
- 38ʺW × 15.75ʺD × 56.5ʺH
- Early 19th Century
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Very Good Condition, Original Condition Unaltered, No Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- This piece has no structural issues and only minor surface wear, scratches, etc… from normal, minimal wear as with most ... moreThis piece has no structural issues and only minor surface wear, scratches, etc… from normal, minimal wear as with most vintage and antique items less
- Place of Origin
- Table Shape
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
All sales are final unless covered under the Buyer Guarantee.
- Louis XV Writing Desks
- Wood Writing Desks
- Metal Writing Desks
- Art Deco Writing Desks
- Brown Writing Desks
- French Writing Desks
- Leather Writing Desks
- Rustic Writing Desks
- Shabby Chic Writing Desks
- Animal Skin Writing Desks
- Bronze Writing Desks
- Empire Writing Desks
- Gold Writing Desks
- Gray Writing Desks
- Green Writing Desks
- Mahogany Writing Desks
- Marble Writing Desks
- Paper Writing Desks
- Stone Writing Desks
- Traditional Writing Desks
- Veneer Writing Desks
- West Palm Writing Desks
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email firstname.lastname@example.org within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.