More an upholstered settle than a sofa, this beautiful and rare settee is an Irish journeyman’s interpretation of the earlier ...
moreMore an upholstered settle than a sofa, this beautiful and rare settee is an Irish journeyman’s interpretation of the earlier Regency style. The scalloped back has an arched centerpiece, hand-carved with a stylized floral motif and two bold scrolls, with incised leaf patterns at the corners, rise to incorporate deeply carved rosettes in the middle. Incised carving follows the line of the scrolled arms ending in a repetition of the eight-petaled rosettes. A nicely-shaped front rail completes the frame, which stands on four handsome metal-tipped turned legs.
This extraordinary piece has been in this dealer’s home for nearly forty years. It is not a couch on which to curl up for a nap or lean back and watch TV. But it is perfectly adequately comfortable. It is the perfect “sitting room” piece; great for conversational gatherings requiring casual seating. It works well in the bedroom or dressing room or hall, where short-term seating is needed.
The settee was probably originally stuffed with horsehair. The present upholstery is from the 1980s when new springs were installed on top of the original bottom boards. less
- 78ʺW × 21ʺD × 38.5ʺH
- Late 19th Century
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Good Condition, Original Design Modified, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Very good sturdy condition with wear consistent with age and use. See description and images for details. Very good sturdy condition with wear consistent with age and use. See description and images for details. less
- Place of Origin
- Seat Height
- 18.0 inches
- Seat Interior Depth
- 0.5 inches
- Seat Interior Width
- 59.0 inches
Enter a zip code for precise shipping costs.
All sales are final unless covered under the Buyer Guarantee.
All sales are final 48 hours after delivery, unless otherwise specified.
Note: Made-to-Order items typically include a lead time or custom delivery window, which is detailed in the product description.
For shipping on all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping may be offered on select listings.
- Smaller items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date, while larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- When an item with Free Shipping is returned, the cost of return shipping fees will be charged to the buyer.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item at the time of pickup and avoid shipping costs.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment is arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and DHL.
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box or envelope may be shipped via parcel.
- Shipping charges start at $9 — and vary based on the size, weight, packaging and the value of the item.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home and placed in the room of your choice (installation and hookup are not included).
- Deliveries may take up to 6 weeks, and up to 8 weeks when either the buyer or seller are located outside of standard shipping routes.
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, size, location of the buyer and seller, and value of the item.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping is offered and managed by the seller, through a shipper of the seller’s choice.
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion.
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery is offered and managed by the seller, within a limited geography.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the confirmation email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery.