Gustave Jean Jacquet -Portrait of a Young Lady wearing a feather Hat - 19th century Oil painting
oil painting on ... moreGustave Jean Jacquet -Portrait of a Young Lady wearing a feather Hat - 19th century Oil painting
oil painting on board -Signed
frame size 14 x 18"
panel size 9x13"
(1846 - 1909)
Gustave Jean Jacquet was active/lived in France.He is known for figure, genre, interior, portrait painting.
Gustave Jacquet's first and only official teacher was William Adolphe Bouguereau, whose influence was evident in Jacquet's early work. The young artist debuted at the Salon of 1865 with an allegory, The Dream, a painting that one could easily mistake for a Bouguereau. In the following years he developed his own unique style of genre painting based on the technical mastery he had acquired from his teacher. The works were small and evoked in great detail the elegant life of the l6th, l7th and l8th centuries. In his review of the 1878 Exposition Universelle, Edward Strahan said of Jacquet 's method:"His painting, as full of sweetness as of science, is mounted equally on two epochs. He prepares observations on present things and plunges them into the past…. He culls the good out of every age…. He steals from the Venetians the splendor of flesh and the beauty of tissues. He takes from the Spaniards the firmness of line and the warmth of their tone. He bears off from the gallant painters of the eighteenth century their melting shapes, their graceful light and flowery color. Every master can teach him something, down to Bouguereau, in whose atelier he received his education…." In 1868 Jacquet was awarded a 3rd class medal for his Departure of the Army in the 16th Century. Around this same time he began doing fine portraits, sometimes dressing his sitters in costumes from earlier eras.In 1875 Jacquet obtained a 1st class medal and, after positive reception at the 1878 Exposition Universelle, was decorated by the Legion of Honor in 1879, a clear indication of his success. Jacquet's career was consistent throughout his life. He was a tireless worker, producing many paintings, each one done with beautiful and caring detail. His nudes were particularly gracious and feminine and his portraits capture the character and elegance of his sitters. Although his paintings weren't filled with drama, they always showed sensitivity to delicate taste and beauty.Works by Jacquet are housed in many important public and private institutions throughout the world, including institutions in Blois, Chateau-Thierry, Rouen, Paris, and Sheffield (England), as well as important American museums: The Brooklyn Museum of Art, The Art Institute of Chicago, and The New York Metropolitan Museum of Art.
A beautiful piece that will add to your décor! less
- 14ʺW × 4ʺD × 18ʺH
- 19th Century
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Very Good Condition, Original Condition Unaltered, No Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history less
- Art Nouveau
- Place of Origin
- Art Subject
Enter a zip code for precise shipping costs.
All sales are final unless covered under the Buyer Guarantee.
All sales are final 48 hours after delivery, unless otherwise specified.
Note: Made-to-Order items typically include a lead time or custom delivery window, which is detailed in the product description.
For shipping on all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping may be offered on select listings.
- Smaller items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date, while larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- When an item with Free Shipping is returned, the cost of return shipping fees will be charged to the buyer.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item at the time of pickup and avoid shipping costs.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment is arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and DHL.
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box or envelope may be shipped via parcel.
- Shipping charges start at $9 — and vary based on the size, weight, packaging and the value of the item.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home and placed in the room of your choice (installation and hookup are not included).
- Deliveries may take up to 6 weeks, and up to 8 weeks when either the buyer or seller are located outside of standard shipping routes.
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, size, location of the buyer and seller, and value of the item.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping is offered and managed by the seller, through a shipper of the seller’s choice.
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion.
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery is offered and managed by the seller, within a limited geography.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the confirmation email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery.