For many decades this long shallow sideboard served as the counter in a Budapest barber’s shop, stretched beneath mirrors with ...
moreFor many decades this long shallow sideboard served as the counter in a Budapest barber’s shop, stretched beneath mirrors with lotions and pomades on its now lost marble top. Hence the nineteen apothecary-like hand-cut dovetailed drawers into which were organized the scissors, razors, brushes and straps and other tools of his trade. Hence also the sloping floor where his customers would rest their feet.
The piece is almost totally devoid of decoration. The top, a nice replacement from reclaimed pine, has a slight step-down routed edge. Two end cupboards with a single flat panel to each door, two shelves within, and a drawer above, are joined with straight aprons to a central bank of two over fifteen drawers. The “kneehole” to each side has a single retrofitted shelf and a lip has been added to the front of the sloping floor. The piece stands on a shallow plinth with unobtrusive pad feet.
This handsome sideboard has been in this dealer’s home for over ten years. There we used it as an entertainment console with a large flat screen TV on top and components beneath. CDs and DVDs were locked in the side cupboards. The kneeholes became bookshelves for our grandchildren’s books, the covers of favorite volumes on display on the sloping floor. The bank of fifteen drawers held farm animals, games and all manner of children’s amusements.
Beyond the living room, think of using in the dining room, dressing room, kitchen, basement, or hall. A restaurant, waiting room, or store would all find it useful and versatile. less
- 101.5ʺW × 14.75ʺD × 33ʺH
- Early 20th Century
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Good Condition, Original Design Modified, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Very good sturdy condition with wear consistent with age and use. See description and images for details. Very good sturdy condition with wear consistent with age and use. See description and images for details. less
- Rustic European
- Place of Origin
Enter a zip code for precise shipping costs.
All sales are final unless covered under the Buyer Guarantee.
All sales are final 48 hours after delivery, unless otherwise specified.
Note: Made-to-Order items typically include a lead time or custom delivery window, which is detailed in the product description.
For shipping on all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping may be offered on select listings.
- Smaller items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date, while larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- When an item with Free Shipping is returned, the cost of return shipping fees will be charged to the buyer.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item at the time of pickup and avoid shipping costs.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment is arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and DHL.
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box or envelope may be shipped via parcel.
- Shipping charges start at $9 — and vary based on the size, weight, packaging and the value of the item.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home and placed in the room of your choice (installation and hookup are not included).
- Deliveries may take up to 6 weeks, and up to 8 weeks when either the buyer or seller are located outside of standard shipping routes.
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, size, location of the buyer and seller, and value of the item.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping is offered and managed by the seller, through a shipper of the seller’s choice.
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion.
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery is offered and managed by the seller, within a limited geography.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the confirmation email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery.