The iconic Diamond Chair by Harry Bertoia for Knoll, originally designed in 1952, in black coated metal and red faux ...
moreThe iconic Diamond Chair by Harry Bertoia for Knoll, originally designed in 1952, in black coated metal and red faux leather cushion.
The Diamond Chair is, according to Knoll, an astounding study in space, form and function by one of the master sculptors of the last century. In Bertoia's own words: 'If you look at these chairs, there are mainly made of air, like sculpture. Space passes right through them.' But although these chairs are like a sculpture, Bertoia first thought of comfort and went through the the procedure of positioning, considering the possibility of shapes, then relating what the wire could be, what shape it could take. Dick Schultz, who worked with Bertoia on the development of the collection, says of the first chair he saw in prototype form: 'It was remarkable. I was astonished by the order of it - like something that grew out of nature. The Harry Bertoia’s wire chairs are among the most recognized achievements of mid-century modern design and a proud part of the Knoll heritage.
Harry Bertoia (1915-1978) born in Italy, moved to the US at the age of fifteen together with his older brother. He soon discovered his interest and talent for art and design and learned, amongst other things, to make jewelry by hand. With the help of a scholarship Bertoia went to study at the Cranbrook Academy of Art at the age of twenty-two were he met Ray and Charles, Walter Gropius and Florence Knoll. Whilst he first started his career as a jewelry maker, he was invited in 1950 to work with Hans and Florence Knoll. Like Saarinen and Mies, Bertoia found sublime grace in an industrial material, elevating it beyond its normal utility into a work of art. During this time he designed his wire collection that Bertoia is now most known for. Thanks to his success of the wire collection, he could focus on his main passion: sculpture. Over the span of his life, Bertoia designed more than fifty public sculptures and specialized in the concept of sound sculptures. less
- 33ʺW × 28ʺD × 29.75ʺH
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Good Condition, Original Condition Unaltered, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Frame in good, structurally sound condition. Red leather cushion in excellent condition. Frame in good, structurally sound condition. Red leather cushion in excellent condition. less
- Harry Bertoia
- Place of Origin
- United States of America
- Seat Height
- 16.5 inches
Enter a zip code for precise shipping costs.
All sales are final unless covered under the Buyer Guarantee.
All sales are final 48 hours after delivery, unless otherwise specified.
Note: Made-to-Order items typically include a lead time or custom delivery window, which is detailed in the product description.
For shipping on all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping may be offered on select listings.
- Smaller items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date, while larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- When an item with Free Shipping is returned, the cost of return shipping fees will be charged to the buyer.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item at the time of pickup and avoid shipping costs.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment is arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and DHL.
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box or envelope may be shipped via parcel.
- Shipping charges start at $9 — and vary based on the size, weight, packaging and the value of the item.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home and placed in the room of your choice (installation and hookup are not included).
- Deliveries may take up to 6 weeks, and up to 8 weeks when either the buyer or seller are located outside of standard shipping routes.
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, size, location of the buyer and seller, and value of the item.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping is offered and managed by the seller, through a shipper of the seller’s choice.
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion.
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery is offered and managed by the seller, within a limited geography.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the confirmation email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery.