Looking to purchase online? Ask the dealer if it's available.
Antoine Philippon & Jacqueline Lecoq, Cabinet, 1307 Series, Edition Erwin Behr, c. 1962, Mahogany, Chrome-Plated Steel, 62 H x 47.25 ...
moreAntoine Philippon & Jacqueline Lecoq, Cabinet, 1307 Series, Edition Erwin Behr, c. 1962, Mahogany, Chrome-Plated Steel, 62 H x 47.25 W x 21 D inches.
This cabinet was designed in 1962 by Antoine Philippon and Jacqueline Lecoq on the occasion of Behr’s 50th anniversary.
With prominent roles at the Société des artistes décorateurs (SAD), Antoine Philippon (1930–1995) and Jacqueline Lecoq (b. 1932) are among the most influential figures of twentieth-century French design.
The award-winning design and architecture duo met in 1954 and opened their independent studio the following year. Together, they established a prolific career participating annually in Salon des Art Ménagers and Salon des Artistes Décorateurs, while also taking local and international commissions, such as the “Pointe de Diamant” Sideboard and 1307 Series Cabinet commissioned by the German industrialist Erwin Behr upon his firm’s fiftieth anniversary in 1962.
Following the generation of SAD dissidents that made up the Union des artistes modernes during the ‘30s and ‘40s, Philippon and Lecoq pioneered a functionalist design that embraced industrial materials like plywood, glass and steel and shunned ornamentation—all-the-while maintaining an undeniable commitment to artistic craftsmanship. Rather than making an outright denunciation of decoration, their experimental designs embraced luxury and sophistication by capitalizing on the elegance of the materials themselves. In doing so, they sidestepped the need for decoration altogether and were able to produce functional pieces true to the ethos of Modernity.
Their seamless mixture of organic and inorganic materials sets up mesmerizing juxtapositions of contrasting surfaces. In their “Pointe de Diamant” series, textured, sensuous mahogany is coupled with pressed plywood doors coated in ultra-cool white lacquer. Philippon and Lecoq’s acuity to geometry adds yet another dimension of spectacular dynamics. Rectilinear faces are divided into quadrants of converging triangles that gently sink inward. These sinking pyramids simultaneously complement and contradict the austerity of the functionalist designs. The structural poetry of these designs is further emphasized as the pieces seem to float elegantly on their chrome-plated steel legs.
Philippon and Lecoq put this gravity-defying strategy on full display for the stunning glass and rosewood Desk (1960). Any severity expected of such strictly rectilinear works is offset by their full embrace of the materials in their sensitive and meticulous design. less
- 47.25ʺW × 21ʺD × 62ʺH
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Excellent Condition, Restored, No Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Excellent Condition - Meticulously Restored Excellent Condition - Meticulously Restored less
- Place of Origin
All sales are final 48 hours after delivery, unless otherwise specified.
Note: Made-to-Order items typically include a lead time or custom delivery window, which is detailed in the product description.
For shipping on all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping may be offered on select listings.
- Smaller items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date, while larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- When an item with Free Shipping is returned, the cost of return shipping fees will be charged to the buyer.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item at the time of pickup and avoid shipping costs.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment is arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and DHL.
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box or envelope may be shipped via parcel.
- Shipping charges start at $9 — and vary based on the size, weight, packaging and the value of the item.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home and placed in the room of your choice (installation and hookup are not included).
- Deliveries may take up to 6 weeks, and up to 8 weeks when either the buyer or seller are located outside of standard shipping routes.
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, size, location of the buyer and seller, and value of the item.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping is offered and managed by the seller, through a shipper of the seller’s choice.
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion.
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery is offered and managed by the seller, within a limited geography.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the confirmation email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery.