Presenting A Fabulous And Very Rare, Original Mid-19th Century Engraving, After A Painting By John Frederick Herring Snr engraved By ...
morePresenting A Fabulous And Very Rare, Original Mid-19th Century Engraving, After A Painting By John Frederick Herring Snr engraved By Charles Hunt circa 1840.
This Original Engraving Is Of “phosphorus” ”the Winner Of The Derby Stakes At Epsom, 1837” Shown With His Victorious Rider/jockey…george Edwards.
The Engraving Reports That Of The 1837 Epsom Derby…there Were 131 Subscribers Of Which 17 Started.
The Owner Of Phosphorus Is Recorded As ” The Property Of Lord Berners”.
“to Whom This Print By Permission Is Most Respectfully Dedicated By The Publishers…. S & J Fuller”.
“london Published July 1837 By S. & J. Fuller, At Their Sporting Gallery, 34 Rathbone Place “.
“painted By J. F. Herring “.
This Aquantint Engraving Beautifully Captures The Winning Horse And Jockey That Were Victorious In The 1837 Running Of The Epsom Derby By John Frederick Herring, Sr.., One Of Great Britain's Most Renown Sporting Artists Who Did Commissioned Work For The Duchess Of Kent And Queen Victoria. Herring's Original Aquatint, Hand-colored Prints Are Extremely Popular And Highly Sought After. The Engraving Is Presented Under Glass In Its Original Oak Frame With Gilt Fillets.
This Hand Colored Aquatint Of Phosphorus Is By The Very Famous And Highly Desirable And Sought After British Artist John Frederick Herring Senior.
The Engraving Is Hugely Impressive, Exceedingly Rare And In Superb Condition For Its Age !
Phosphorus (1834 – After 1843) Was A British Thoroughbred Racehorse And Sire. In His British Career He Ran Three Times And Won Two Races. His Most Significant Win Came When He Overcame A Leg Injury To Win The 1837 Epsom Derby. Phosphorus Was Later Sold And Exported To Brunswick, But Was Unable To Reproduce His English Form. He Was Unsuccessful As A Stallion.
This Is A Very Rare Print!
We Are Of The Opinion That This Is An Early Engraving From Circa 1840 (The Original Would Have Been Made In 1837). The Engraving Was One Of A Set Of 5 Bought Together In The 1960's And The One Of 'foig-a-ballagh' By Harry Hall In The Collection Is An Original 'proof'. It Stands To Reason That The Collection Were All From The Same Time Period.
Provenance: Bought From A Collector In Kentucky, Whose Father Had Purchased This In Ireland In The 1960's. less
- 26ʺW × 1.5ʺD × 20.5ʺH
- Mid 19th Century
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Very Good Condition, Original Condition Unaltered, No Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Near Mint. Near Mint. less
- English Traditional
- Place of Origin
- Art Subject
Enter a zip code for precise shipping costs.
Typical Delivery Time: 7-14 days.
All sales are final unless covered under the Buyer Guarantee.
All sales are final 48 hours after delivery, unless otherwise specified.
Note: Made-to-Order items typically include a lead time or custom delivery window, which is detailed in the product description.
For shipping on all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping may be offered on select listings.
- Smaller items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date, while larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- When an item with Free Shipping is returned, the cost of return shipping fees will be charged to the buyer.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item at the time of pickup and avoid shipping costs.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment is arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and DHL.
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box or envelope may be shipped via parcel.
- Shipping charges start at $9 — and vary based on the size, weight, packaging and the value of the item.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home and placed in the room of your choice (installation and hookup are not included).
- Deliveries may take up to 6 weeks, and up to 8 weeks when either the buyer or seller are located outside of standard shipping routes.
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, size, location of the buyer and seller, and value of the item.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping is offered and managed by the seller, through a shipper of the seller’s choice.
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion.
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery is offered and managed by the seller, within a limited geography.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the confirmation email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery.