Presenting a gloriously rare book, Tarzan of the Apes by Edgar Rice Burroughs Grosset 1st edition.
New York: Grosset & ... morePresenting a gloriously rare book, Tarzan of the Apes by Edgar Rice Burroughs Grosset 1st edition.
New York: Grosset & Dunlap, [circa 1914-1929]. 8vo. , 392 pp. Frontisp. Silhouette by Fred J. Arting printed on glossy stock. Red cloth, black lettering front cover and spine (minor bumping to corners), with d.j. wraparound cover art of Tarzan sitting in tree based on the McClurg 1st editon by Paul Stahr from Fred Arting Silhouette illust. (very minor chipping foot of spine, minor closed tears, closed tear at fore-edge, minor water damage to cover and first couple of pages but otherwise v. good), still VG/VG- copy. Early Grosset edition of No. 1 in the Tarzan series.
Tarzan of the Apes is a novel written by Edgar Rice Burroughs, the first in a series of books about the title character Tarzan. It was first published in the pulp magazine all-story magazine in October, 1912, the first book edition was published in 1914 by A.C. McClurg & Co in Chicago. The publisher was made famous by their original publishing of the Tarzan of the Apes novels and other stories of Edgar Rice Burroughs. Tarzan of the Apes tells the story of Tarzan (“White Skin” in ape language) who is adopted as a baby by the she-ape Kala after his parents, the Lord and Lady Greystoke, pass away after being marooned in West Africa. Immediately popular, Burroughs continued the series into the 1940s with two dozen sequels, and the Tarzan character has been immortalized in books, films and television since. Tarzan was the first literary character to be registered in a trademark. Tarzan and the Castaways was the last finished story by Burroughs, the 24th in his series on Tarzan. In addition to the title novella, the book also includes two short stories about Tarzan. Tarzan, The Lost Adventure is a novel by American writer Joe R. Lansdale, based on an incomplete fragment of a Tarzan novel written by Edgar Rice Burroughs which had been left unfinished at his death. The book was serialized in four parts by Dark Horse Comics, before being published as a single volume in 1995
No dust jacket. Some water damage to cover and first couple of pages, but otherwise good. less
- 5.3ʺW × 1.25ʺD × 7.6ʺH
- Early 20th Century
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Good Condition, Original Condition Unaltered, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Fair condition. Wear consistent with age and use. Minor losses. Minor structural damages. Minor fading. Fair condition. Wear consistent with age and use. Minor losses. Minor structural damages. Minor fading. less
- Place of Origin
- United States of America
Enter a zip code for precise shipping costs.
Typical Delivery Time: 7-14 days.
All sales are final unless covered under the Buyer Guarantee.
All sales are final 48 hours after delivery, unless otherwise specified.
Note: Made-to-Order items typically include a lead time or custom delivery window, which is detailed in the product description.
For shipping on all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping may be offered on select listings.
- Smaller items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date, while larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- When an item with Free Shipping is returned, the cost of return shipping fees will be charged to the buyer.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item at the time of pickup and avoid shipping costs.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment is arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and DHL.
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box or envelope may be shipped via parcel.
- Shipping charges start at $9 — and vary based on the size, weight, packaging and the value of the item.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home and placed in the room of your choice (installation and hookup are not included).
- Deliveries may take up to 6 weeks, and up to 8 weeks when either the buyer or seller are located outside of standard shipping routes.
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, size, location of the buyer and seller, and value of the item.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping is offered and managed by the seller, through a shipper of the seller’s choice.
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion.
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery is offered and managed by the seller, within a limited geography.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the confirmation email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery.