Stunning 19th century domed glove box from circa 1870.
Made in Vizagapatam, India in British Colonial Era …. the time ... moreStunning 19th century domed glove box from circa 1870.
Made in Vizagapatam, India in British Colonial Era …. the time of the Raj !
The box is made of sandalwood but completed covered with dark faux tortoiseshell to imitate ebony but with more patina. The exterior is then banded with faux ivory bands and edgings and carved frieze panels on all sides.
The panels etc. are all hand decorated using 'lac' ink (indelible ink made from crushed beetles) in floral patterns.
The 2 Central bone panels on the domed lid depict the Hindu Goddess Lakshmi and the Hindu God Vishnu. These panels make this Box Important !!!
The box sits on four carved bone lions paw feet.
Due to the frailty of these boxes ….. not many have survived in perfect condition.
This one has some losses but still retains its central beauty! less
- 11.25ʺW × 4.75ʺD × 3.75ʺH
- Late 19th Century
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Good Condition, Original Condition Unaltered, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Wear consistent with age and use. Minor losses. Minor structural damages. Wear consistent with age and use. Minor losses. Minor structural damages. less
- Place of Origin
Enter a zip code for precise shipping costs.
Typical Delivery Time: 7-14 days.
All sales are final unless covered under the Buyer Guarantee.
All sales are final 48 hours after delivery, unless otherwise specified.
Note: Made-to-Order items typically include a lead time or custom delivery window, which is detailed in the product description.
For shipping on all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping may be offered on select listings.
- Smaller items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date, while larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- When an item with Free Shipping is returned, the cost of return shipping fees will be charged to the buyer.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item at the time of pickup and avoid shipping costs.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment is arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and DHL.
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box or envelope may be shipped via parcel.
- Shipping charges start at $9 — and vary based on the size, weight, packaging and the value of the item.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home and placed in the room of your choice (installation and hookup are not included).
- Deliveries may take up to 6 weeks, and up to 8 weeks when either the buyer or seller are located outside of standard shipping routes.
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, size, location of the buyer and seller, and value of the item.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping is offered and managed by the seller, through a shipper of the seller’s choice.
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion.
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery is offered and managed by the seller, within a limited geography.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the confirmation email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery.