This colorful Majolica water pitcher was sculpted in Saint Clement, France, circa 1890. The ceramic jug is in the shape ...
moreThis colorful Majolica water pitcher was sculpted in Saint Clement, France, circa 1890. The ceramic jug is in the shape of a colorful puddle in a standing position with spout thru the mouth. The pitcher is hand painted in the white and grey palette and is stamped on the bottom 579 (Saint Clement, Keller & Guerin). The jug is in excellent condition with rich patinated colors. Pictured in the book "Pichets en Barbotines" by Maryse Bottero page 40. See last picture.
Saint Clement pottery was established by Jacques Chambrette in St. Clément in 1758 producing traditional French faience. The factory was a branch of Chambrette’s Luneville pottery, but was managed by his son-in-law Charles Loyal, Paul Louis Cyfflé, and architect Richard Mique. By the beginning of the 19th century, both concerns had been acquired by Keller and Guérin. St. Clément began producing majolica during the 1860s and continued for some forty years.
St. Clément majolica is characterized by subtle shadings of colors. Majolica pieces include a series of figural jugs including a rooster, chimpanzee, and an absinthe pitcher in the form of a duck with folded wings. The pottery also produced a variety of vases as well as asparagus and artichoke plates and servers.
Majolica was commonly marked with an impressed ‘SAINT CLEMENT’ and may also include the letters ‘KG’ for Keller and Guérin.
Measures: 8" W x 4" D x 11.5" H. less
- 8ʺW × 4ʺD × 11.5ʺH
- Late 19th Century
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Very Good Condition, Original Condition Unaltered, No Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Excellent - Wear consistent with age and use Excellent - Wear consistent with age and use less
- Place of Origin
Enter a zip code for precise shipping costs.
Typical Delivery Time: 7-14 days.
All sales are final unless covered under the Buyer Guarantee.
All sales are final 48 hours after delivery, unless otherwise specified.
Note: Made-to-Order items typically include a lead time or custom delivery window, which is detailed in the product description.
For shipping on all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping may be offered on select listings.
- Smaller items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date, while larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- When an item with Free Shipping is returned, the cost of return shipping fees will be charged to the buyer.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item at the time of pickup and avoid shipping costs.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment is arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and DHL.
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box or envelope may be shipped via parcel.
- Shipping charges start at $9 — and vary based on the size, weight, packaging and the value of the item.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home and placed in the room of your choice (installation and hookup are not included).
- Deliveries may take up to 6 weeks, and up to 8 weeks when either the buyer or seller are located outside of standard shipping routes.
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, size, location of the buyer and seller, and value of the item.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping is offered and managed by the seller, through a shipper of the seller’s choice.
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion.
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery is offered and managed by the seller, within a limited geography.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the confirmation email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery.