Daniel Sherrin The Elder - Clipper Ship Seascape - 19th century Oil painting
oil painting on canvas -Signed
circa 1890s ... moreDaniel Sherrin The Elder - Clipper Ship Seascape - 19th century Oil painting
oil painting on canvas -Signed
frame size 40 x 30"
canvas size 37 x 27"
Daniel Sherrin, The Elder (1868-1940)
He was born in Brentwood, Essex, England in 1868, the son of John Sherrin,R.I. (1819-1896) who specialized in Still Life subjects. Daniel studied under his father and became a pupil of B.W. Leader, the well known landscape artist and a member of the "Williams" family. He lived for a while on the East Coast of England near Whitstable and although primarily a landscape artist, he also painted along the shores of Suffolk and Norfolk.
In his early period he painted sailing ships very similar to those of Thomas Somerscales and early Montague Dawson's, later he turned to landscapes and it is for these subjects he has become well known.
It is also accepted that as well as painting under his own name Daniel Sherrin, he occasionally painted under the pseudonym of 'L Richards' and 'Horace Gallon'.
His paintings were often used for book illustrations and a scene titled In the Highlands, depicting highland cattle by a loch, can be seen in a book titled British Highways and Byways from a Motor Car, by Thomas D. Murphy, which was published in 1908.
Some of his works were engraved, the most important being a landscape entitled Peace-perfect-peace for which he received the sum of £150! He was commissioned by King George V. to paint Sandringham and this painting still hangs in Buckingham Palace. During the first World War he did valuable work on the design of posters in connection with recruitment for Kitchener's Army and this work is in the archives of the Imperial War museum. His son Reginald Daniel Sherrin (1891-1971) was also an artist, who painted in watercolor and specialized in moorland and coastal views.
A beautiful piece that will add to your décor! less
- 40ʺW × 4ʺD × 30ʺH
- 19th Century
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Very Good Condition, Original Condition Unaltered, No Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history less
- Place of Origin
- Art Subject
Enter a zip code for precise shipping costs.
All sales are final unless covered under the Buyer Guarantee.
All sales are final 48 hours after delivery, unless otherwise specified.
Note: Made-to-Order items typically include a lead time or custom delivery window, which is detailed in the product description.
For shipping on all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping may be offered on select listings.
- Smaller items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date, while larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- When an item with Free Shipping is returned, the cost of return shipping fees will be charged to the buyer.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item at the time of pickup and avoid shipping costs.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment is arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and DHL.
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box or envelope may be shipped via parcel.
- Shipping charges start at $9 — and vary based on the size, weight, packaging and the value of the item.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home and placed in the room of your choice (installation and hookup are not included).
- Deliveries may take up to 6 weeks, and up to 8 weeks when either the buyer or seller are located outside of standard shipping routes.
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, size, location of the buyer and seller, and value of the item.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping is offered and managed by the seller, through a shipper of the seller’s choice.
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion.
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery is offered and managed by the seller, within a limited geography.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the confirmation email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery.