George Healy - Portrait of a Beautiful Aristocratic Lady-19th century Oil painting
oil painting on board
frame size 30 ... moreGeorge Healy - Portrait of a Beautiful Aristocratic Lady-19th century Oil painting
oil painting on board
frame size 30 x 36"
board size 22 x 28"
(1813 - 1894)
George Peter Alexander Healy was active/lived in Illinois, Massachusetts / Europe, France. He is known for portraits of dignitaries, history and genre painting.
Born and raised in Boston to impoverished parents, George Healy was one of the best-known portrait painters of the mid to late 19th century. He also did occasional genre and historical subjects.
His painting talent was recognized by society sitters and specifically by the renowned portraitist Thomas Sully. Portrait subjects included the last-known portrait of a clean-shaven Abraham Lincoln as well as Daniel Webster, Franz Liszt, Louisa May Alcott and Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.At age 17, Healy opened a portrait studio, and one of his early patrons was Mrs. Harrison Gray Otis. At age 21 in 1834, Healy, supported by Sully and Otis, left for the first of many trips to Paris where he studied with Antoine Jean-Gros and with Thomas Couture, who became a close friend. He was in Paris for many years as a court portrait painter and gained an international reputation. He spent the remainder of his life traveling between the United States and Europe, making 35 Atlantic Ocean crossings.In 1855, he established a home in Chicago from which he frequently traveled to the East Coast and the South to paint portraits of leading politicians and aristocrats, completing about 100 of them a year. After the Civil War, he returned to Europe for 25 years but left at age 79 because of his disdain for the new turns of the Parisian art scene that included Impressionism. less
- 30ʺW × 4ʺD × 36ʺH
- 19th Century
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Very Good Condition, Original Condition Unaltered, No Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history less
- Place of Origin
- North America
- Art Subject
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
Enter a zip code for precise shipping costs.
All sales are final unless covered under the Buyer Guarantee.
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email firstname.lastname@example.org within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.