Looking to purchase online? Ask the dealer if it's available.
Born in 1951 in Los Angeles, Scot Heywood has pursued a course of non-representational, geometric abstract painting for more than ...
moreBorn in 1951 in Los Angeles, Scot Heywood has pursued a course of non-representational, geometric abstract painting for more than 30 years. A self-taught artist, Heywood’s works are indebted to the origins of geometric abstraction in such artists as Kasimir Malevich and Piet Mondrian, though he has crafted a thoroughly personal interpretation. The artist’s exquisite attention to detail and presentation are evident in the careful placement of individual panels, as well as the refined diagonal layering of paint.
A viewer would be mistaken to consider Heywood’s paintings to be standard examples of the minimalist monochrome. His work invites extended contemplation and engages with viewers on visual, physical and conceptual levels. David Pagel of the Los Angeles Times has written on the experience of regarding Heywood’s work, explaining that, “To stand before one of these paintings, each of which is the size of a generously scaled doorway, is to find your whole body involuntarily adjusting itself to the subtly out-of-whack geometry of Heywood’s art.”
It is this disorienting geometry that characterizes Scot Heywood’s art. Small but unexpected asymmetries and careful “notches” disrupt the smooth rectangularity of his wood and canvas surfaces, creating a dialogue between form and color that implicates the space of the gallery. Daniella Walsh for THE Magazine described the sophisticated game being played here when she wrote that Heywood’s works “establish a new perceptual reality, incorporating the wall as negative space.”
In this way, the walls of the gallery become part of the work, functioning as more than a passive backdrop for the paintings. The relationship between the walls, the works, and the viewers are all held up for examination. In this atmosphere, the works take on architectural qualities. According to Jody Zellen of Artweek, they then allow for an exploration of “the relationships between presence and absence with respect to a given architectural space.”
Scot has shown frequently in Southern California since the late 1970s. His work has been featured in over a dozen solo shows and is often included in significant group exhibitions such as Marks and Movement: Five Painters at the Santa Monica College Barrett Gallery in 2011. His paintings are also represented in numerous collections, including the Frederick Weisman Foundation. less
- 60ʺW × 2ʺD × 62ʺH
- Item Type
- Mint Condition, Original Condition Unaltered, No Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Excellent Condition Excellent Condition less
- Place of Origin
- United States of America
- Art Subject
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email email@example.com within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.