Painting is my passion. It has been a major part of my life as long as I can ... moreARTIST STATEMENT
Painting is my passion. It has been a major part of my life as long as I can remember. I receive sensual stimulation every day for my abstract paintings from my environment and its colors, textures, light and forms and interactions around me. I incorporate these influences into my work through the use of various techniques of manipulating oil washes, impasto paint, brush strokes and other materials. It is a similar experience to traveling where you are constantly discovering something new about an area or a person in a new place. This experience may be similar to an archeologist making a unique discovery during a dig. It can be a joyful experience and at times, a more frustrating experience but it is never a dull experience. I am also intrigued by linear calligraphic mark making from all over the world and have used my own calligraphic mark making as a conceptual tool for communicating my ideas to the viewer.
Karen was born in 1946 to an American family in a small town in Connecticut where she was inspired to create artwork by her mother, art teachers and through readings on artists and artwork that they created. She loved to paint and draw and learn about new customs and cultures. Later she further pursued her art education at Russel Sage College (BS), Southern Connecticut State University (MS), Wesleyan University (CAS) and Hartford Art School, University of Hartford (MFA).
Karen has always been interested through readings and travel in ancient cultures and their customs, dance, music, poetry, and visual arts and other forms of creative expression. Her travels took her to American Indian sites in many areas of the United States, the Mayan ruins in Central America, Asia, southeast Asia, Greece, Egypt, Morocco, Spain, France, Italy, Turkey, the British Isles, the Caribbean, and Canada. Using these travels as an impetus for further exploration as she became more fascinated with each culture that she studied, the influences and mark making techniques of the cultures were absorbed into her psyche and in her artwork. She decided to focus on these ideas and finished an MFA degree in painting at Hartford Art School at the University of Hartford. In this program, she studied with N.Y. artist, Susan Wilmarth Rabineau, wife of the deceased minimalist sculptor, Christopher Wilmarth.
Through this study of European and Asian cultures Karen became more intrigued by the layering of each segment of history, the evocative calligraphic line, the various mixed media materials and the effect that light played in an artwork. Here she reduced her images to a more simplified format and became excited by working with just the formal elements in an artwork rather than replicating what exists in nature. Transcending the natural and exploring a window into an internal world these explorations led her to experiment further with creating ideas through her use of unconventional materials such as cold wax, natural objects, scraps of cloth, objects, impasto oil paint and paint washes. In addition, she continues to evolve while creating various techniques of applying the paint to its surface. Her explorations have a far eastern influence, which informs her artwork and is a result of her interest and study of yoga and Buddhism and travels to Japan, China and Thailand. The primitive marks, color, texture, innate light, stained asymmetrical compositions and line direct one to focus on these clues leading to a spiritual place.
Karen's artwork that she creates in her studio in Clinton, Connecticut has been shown both nationally (in New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Florida and California) and internationally (Ireland, Spain) and is part of many private and corporate collections. less
- 36ʺW × 1ʺD × 48ʺH
- Item Type
- Mint Condition, Original Condition Unaltered, No Imperfections
- Karen Green Recor
- Place of Origin
- United States of America
- Art Subject
Enter a zip code for precise shipping costs.
All sales are final unless covered under the Buyer Guarantee.
All sales are final 48 hours after delivery, unless otherwise specified.
Note: Made-to-Order items typically include a lead time or custom delivery window, which is detailed in the product description.
For shipping on all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping may be offered on select listings.
- Smaller items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date, while larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- When an item with Free Shipping is returned, the cost of return shipping fees will be charged to the buyer.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item at the time of pickup and avoid shipping costs.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment is arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and DHL.
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box or envelope may be shipped via parcel.
- Shipping charges start at $9 — and vary based on the size, weight, packaging and the value of the item.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home and placed in the room of your choice (installation and hookup are not included).
- Deliveries may take up to 6 weeks, and up to 8 weeks when either the buyer or seller are located outside of standard shipping routes.
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, size, location of the buyer and seller, and value of the item.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping is offered and managed by the seller, through a shipper of the seller’s choice.
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion.
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery is offered and managed by the seller, within a limited geography.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the confirmation email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery.