Acrylic on canvas
Edition: Unique, Unframed.
This artwork is from a series titled In Praise of Planetary Time.The series ... moreAcrylic on canvas
Edition: Unique, Unframed.
This artwork is from a series titled In Praise of Planetary Time.The series is inspired by a blood moon eclipse in Apr 15 which gradually turned the lunar surface into an opaque brick-red orb. Prest was stunned by the sensation of planetary time, where slow and subtle comic changes could awaken her from a sound sleep.The title of the series comes fromIn Praise of Shadows , an essay written in 1933 by Junichiro Tanizaki. The author examines differences between traditional and modern aesthetics, architecture and craft. The essay discusses differing artistic intentions and lauds the patina of time as a comfort in face of modern efficiency.
Mel Prest is an American abstract artist whose intricate, layered paintings mobilize color, line, and perspective to activate kinetic perceptual phenomena.She lives and works in San Francisco, CA. Prest earned her BFA in Painting from the Rhode Island School of Design in 1991, and her MFA in Painting from Mills College in Oakland, CA, in 1999.She has served as Artist in Residence at the Vermont Studio Center, The Ragdale Foundation, The Sam and Adele Golden Foundation for the Arts, and the Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco, among others. Prest plans the color palettes in response to her experiences with the visual environment of daily life.The work is grounded in color relationships, so she begins each painting by building the surface up with layers of color over the course of months. When the surface color reaches a point where it feels right, Prest begins applying lines, one at a time, by hand.She embraces the painterly quality of the marks, allowing variations in thickness and vibrancy to convey the material echo of her hand.Sometimes the perceptual effects of the work emerge purely out of gradation and color relationships.Other times, Prest creates elaborate, geometric, linear matrixes that pull the eye into fluctuating optical experiences.The perceptual effect is sometimes heightened by the addition of fluorescent, phosphorescent, or interference paint, which affects changes in certain lighting conditions or as the viewer considers the piece from different perspectives Prest is inspired by how light, color, and space interact in the visual environment.She takes note of the layering of perceptual experiences during her daily life, and of the surprising relationships that emerge depending on atmospheric factors, such as fog.Responding to these experiences, Prest translates them in her studio by constructing color palettes she anticipates will foster similar types of perceptual or psychological effects.The actual painting process is left somewhat open. Says Prest,I want spontaneity and chance to influence the outcome and direction of each piece. About her Portmanteau series, Prest says,Physical atmosphere and hue discordance create perceptual puzzles, like suitcases with hidden compartments. Flashes of light, reflections, or absorbent darks are transitory elements that invite further investigation. I use metallic, glow in the dark and interference colors to create paintings that shift and respond to the viewer. When the lights turn off, new works appear and emerge. Prest has exhibited extensively throughout the Unites States and Europe. Her paintings are in the collections of Apple, the Berkeley Art Museum, the Crocker Museum of Art, the Missoula Art Museum, the Mills College Art Museum, and many others. Galleri Urbane, Dallas, TXB Sakata Garo, Sacramento, CAMinus Space (Flat Files), Brooklyn, NYPierogi (Flat Files), New York, NY less
- 104.02ʺW × 0.1ʺD × 104.02ʺH
- Item Type
- Mint Condition, Original Condition Unaltered, No Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- New New less
- Mel Prest
- Place of Origin
- United States of America
- Art Subject
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
Enter a zip code for precise shipping costs.
All sales are final unless covered under the Buyer Guarantee.
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email firstname.lastname@example.org within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.