Looking to purchase online? Ask the dealer if it's available.
Beeswax, resin and pigment on canvas mounted on panel
Edition: Unique, Unframed.
This work of pensive vertical abstraction, based in ... moreBeeswax, resin and pigment on canvas mounted on panel
Edition: Unique, Unframed.
This work of pensive vertical abstraction, based in the Venetian tradition ofcolore (color as the basis of art) produces a Depiction of Atmosphere (the Unseen Air) as both subject and object. Here the balance of weights of blue create a palpable density and optical resonance capturing the diffused light and hidden modalities of nature.The images Yntema creates are the result of accumulated, semi-translucent layers of color.The beeswax gives a dimensional quality to whatever surface she paints on. Despite the buildup of layers, the qualities of the wax also imbue an ephemeral lightness to the pictures, as light is allowed to pass through the top layer to illuminate the layers beneath. The process of creating these pictures is slow and deliberate, and that sense of the building up of time is important to the work.Yntema is inspired by the way light interacts with the natural landscape. She uses color and space as a way of examining light.
Janise Yntema is an American abstract painter currently living and working in Brussels, Belgium. She works with the ancient technique of encaustic wax, a combination of beeswax, resin and pigments in which heat serves as the active solvent. After studying at the Art Students League in New York, Yntema earned her Bachelor of Fine Arts Degree from Parsons School of Design/The New York School in New York City in 1984. Yntema applies natural beeswax and resin to wooden panels, using a blowtorch to seamlessly blend her brush strokes. With close attention to process itself, she creates her images through slow and deliberate accumulations of semi-transparent layers of colour. Light permeates these layers and becomes compositionally present. Heat invisibly dilutes, mixes, and binds each layer into a translucent luminous tone. The application and removal of material, in an additive/reductive process, allows unexpected moments to emerge in an alchemical dance between what is directed and what is uncontrolled. There is a sublime quality in her work as she creates an environment of diffused light that remains minimal and abstract. The element of time is evident. Yntema's visual language is inspired by how light, perceived through pigment, creates space in combination with how perceptions of time can be retained through colour. Her work references Postmodern Tonalism. Her paintings bring to question the line between figuration and abstraction as within the visual language of the horizontal, a sense of place is suggested. Her paintings are concerned with what is perceived as real comparative to the ideal, an examination into the larger reality of nature and life.My works explore the perception of light as revealed through nuance of color, composing a space between the natural and the ideal. An environment of diffused light is created that remains minimal and abstract. I consider my subject to be light, and landscape its messenger, with changing transitions in color capturing reflected memories of small moments in time. Her work is included in numerous public and private collections, including that of the Philips Corporation, the Art Institute of Chicago, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York and the Stedelijk Museum, Amsterdam. Yntema extensive exhibition history includes solo and group shows in London, New York City, Brussels, and Amsterdam. Recent solo exhibitions include Le Paysage Tranquille at Galerie Marie Demange, Brussels, in 2016, and The Quiet Landscape, at Cadogan Contemporary, London, UK, in 2015. Cadogan Contemporary, LondonGalerie Josine Bokhoven, AmsterdamA.I.R. Gallery, BrooklynElizabeth Dow Ltd., East Hampton, NYGalerie Marie Demange, Brussels less
- 41.34ʺW × 1.18ʺD × 47.24ʺH
- 2000 - 2009
- Item Type
- Mint Condition, Original Condition Unaltered, No Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- New New less
- Janise Yntema
- Place of Origin
- Art Subject
All sales are final 48 hours after delivery, unless otherwise specified.
Note: Made-to-Order items typically include a lead time or custom delivery window, which is detailed in the product description.
For shipping on all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping may be offered on select listings.
- Smaller items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date, while larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- When an item with Free Shipping is returned, the cost of return shipping fees will be charged to the buyer.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item at the time of pickup and avoid shipping costs.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment is arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and DHL.
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box or envelope may be shipped via parcel.
- Shipping charges start at $9 — and vary based on the size, weight, packaging and the value of the item.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home and placed in the room of your choice (installation and hookup are not included).
- Deliveries may take up to 6 weeks, and up to 8 weeks when either the buyer or seller are located outside of standard shipping routes.
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, size, location of the buyer and seller, and value of the item.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping is offered and managed by the seller, through a shipper of the seller’s choice.
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion.
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery is offered and managed by the seller, within a limited geography.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the confirmation email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery.