Looking to purchase online? Ask the dealer if it's available.
Mixed media on poly cotton
Edition: Unique, Unframed.
Cusack employs a highly physical technique, full of striving and intense focus. ... moreMixed media on poly cotton
Edition: Unique, Unframed.
Cusack employs a highly physical technique, full of striving and intense focus. He takes a layered, inquisitive, painterly approach to his work. He builds his surfaces up with color, coaxing shapes into existence.He uses color to create drama. His shapes and forms are locked in struggle: sometimes color and space allow them to relax, other times the elements of the work push the composition towards conflict.
Michael Cusack is an Irish-born, Australia-based abstract painter. His work is painterly, emotive, dramatic, and evocative of the struggle between forces of nature. He lives and works in Byron Bay. Cusack earned his Diploma of Fine Arts from Hunter Institute of Technology in 1997 and his Master of Visual Arts degree from Queensland College of Art, Griffith University, Brisbane. In 2014, he was awarded the Cité Internationale Des Arts residency in Paris by the Art Gallery of New South Wales (AGNSW). While maintaining a full time studio practice, he also teaches at the Byron School of Art. Cusack employs a highly physical technique, full of striving and intense focus. He takes a layered, inquisitive, painterly approach to his work. He builds his surfaces up with color, coaxing shapes into existence. The push and pull of warm and cool hues creates the illusion of depth and space, while visible brush strokes reject illusion, calling attention instead to the hand and mind of the artist.Cusack works in a way that is both formal and conceptual. His process is physical and visceral: a negotiation between paint, surfaces, and the forces of his technique. Behind the technique is a rhythm that is trying to communicate through the composition.The struggle between the straightforward elements of technique and the metaphysical aspect of ideas is evident in the labor-intensive presence of the work. Cusack is inspired by the urge to understand his own instinctual visual language. His lexicon is related to nature, built on the importance of color, composition, the emergence of shapes and forms, the relationships between layers, push and pull, dynamism, and time. He uses color to create drama. His shapes and forms are locked in struggle: sometimes color and space allow them to relax, other times the elements of the work push the composition towards conflict. Longing is everywhere: Cusack is revisiting the past, searching for a way to the future. His striving pours out of his paintings, compelling not just the eye of the spectator but also the heart and mind. His mature, formal understanding of paint and technique are mobilized toward the communication of something universal about human/animal nature. About his process, Cusack has said:With every new body of work I am trying to re-write. Not a new language but trying to inform my current language with new codes, new rhythms, new passages. If the paintings tell a story it is their own, of shape making, of materials and a residue of experiences. Cusack has exhibited his work extensively throughout Australia. His paintings are included in numerous public and private collections in Australia, Asia and Europe, including those of the Newcastle Regional Museum, Newcastle Art Gallery, Tweed Regional Gallery, the Port Macquarie Collection, the Lismore Regional Gallery, BHP Billiton, ABN Amro, Artbank, the Wycombe City Council, and Macquarie Bank. Olsen Gallery, Sydney and New York CityMartin Browne Contemporary, Sydney less
- 24.02ʺW × 0.1ʺD × 20.08ʺH
- Item Type
- Mint Condition, Original Condition Unaltered, No Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- New New less
- Michael Cusack
- Place of Origin
- Art Subject
All sales are final 48 hours after delivery, unless otherwise specified.
Note: Made-to-Order items typically include a lead time or custom delivery window, which is detailed in the product description.
For shipping on all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping may be offered on select listings.
- Smaller items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date, while larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- When an item with Free Shipping is returned, the cost of return shipping fees will be charged to the buyer.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item at the time of pickup and avoid shipping costs.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment is arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and DHL.
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box or envelope may be shipped via parcel.
- Shipping charges start at $9 — and vary based on the size, weight, packaging and the value of the item.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home and placed in the room of your choice (installation and hookup are not included).
- Deliveries may take up to 6 weeks, and up to 8 weeks when either the buyer or seller are located outside of standard shipping routes.
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, size, location of the buyer and seller, and value of the item.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping is offered and managed by the seller, through a shipper of the seller’s choice.
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion.
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery is offered and managed by the seller, within a limited geography.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the confirmation email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery.