Acrylic and phosphorescent acrylic on panel
Edition: Unique, Unframed.
This artwork is from a series titled In Praise of Planetary ... moreAcrylic and phosphorescent acrylic on panel
Edition: Unique, Unframed.
This artwork is from a series titled In Praise of Planetary Time.The series is inspired by a blood moon eclipse in Apr 15 which gradually turned the lunar surface into an opaque brick-red orb. Prest was stunned by the sensation of planetary time, where slow and subtle comic changes could awaken her from a sound sleep.The title of the series comes fromIn Praise of Shadows , an essay written in 1933 by Junichiro Tanizaki. The author examines differences between traditional and modern aesthetics, architecture and craft. The essay discusses differing artistic intentions and lauds the patina of time as a comfort in face of modern efficiency.
Mel Prest is an American abstract artist whose intricate, layered paintings mobilize color, line, and perspective to activate kinetic perceptual phenomena.She lives and works in San Francisco, CA. Prest earned her BFA in Painting from the Rhode Island School of Design in 1991, and her MFA in Painting from Mills College in Oakland, CA, in 1999.She has served as Artist in Residence at the Vermont Studio Center, The Ragdale Foundation, The Sam and Adele Golden Foundation for the Arts, and the Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco, among others. Prest plans the color palettes in response to her experiences with the visual environment of daily life.The work is grounded in color relationships, so she begins each painting by building the surface up with layers of color over the course of months. When the surface color reaches a point where it feels right, Prest begins applying lines, one at a time, by hand.She embraces the painterly quality of the marks, allowing variations in thickness and vibrancy to convey the material echo of her hand.Sometimes the perceptual effects of the work emerge purely out of gradation and color relationships.Other times, Prest creates elaborate, geometric, linear matrices that pull the eye into fluctuating optical experiences.The perceptual effect is sometimes heightened by the addition of fluorescent, phosphorescent, or interference paint, which affects changes in certain lighting conditions or as the viewer considers the piece from different perspectives Prest is inspired by how light, color, and space interact in the visual environment.She takes note of the layering of perceptual experiences during her daily life, and of the surprising relationships that emerge depending on atmospheric factors, such as fog.Responding to these experiences, Prest translates them in her studio by constructing color palettes she anticipates will foster similar types of perceptual or psychological effects.The actual painting process is left somewhat open. Says Prest,I want spontaneity and chance to influence the outcome and direction of each piece. About her Portmanteau series, Prest says,Physical atmosphere and hue discordance create perceptual puzzles, like suitcases with hidden compartments. Flashes of light, reflections, or absorbent darks are transitory elements that invite further investigation. I use metallic, glow in the dark and interference colors to create paintings that shift and respond to the viewer. When the lights turn off, new works appear and emerge. Prest has exhibited extensively throughout the United States and Europe. Her paintings are in the collections of Apple, the Berkeley Art Museum, the Crocker Museum of Art, the Missoula Art Museum, the Mills College Art Museum, and many others. Galleri Urbane, Dallas, TXB Sakata Garo, Sacramento, CAMinus Space (Flat Files), Brooklyn, NY Pierogi (Flat Files), New York, NY less
- 12.01ʺW × 1.97ʺD × 12.01ʺH
- Item Type
- Mint Condition, Original Condition Unaltered, No Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- New New less
- Mel Prest
- Place of Origin
- United States of America
- Art Subject
Enter a zip code for precise shipping costs.
Typical Delivery Time: 7-14 days.
All sales are final unless covered under the Buyer Guarantee.
All sales are final 48 hours after delivery, unless otherwise specified.
Note: Made-to-Order items typically include a lead time or custom delivery window, which is detailed in the product description.
For shipping on all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping may be offered on select listings.
- Smaller items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date, while larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- When an item with Free Shipping is returned, the cost of return shipping fees will be charged to the buyer.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item at the time of pickup and avoid shipping costs.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment is arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and DHL.
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box or envelope may be shipped via parcel.
- Shipping charges start at $9 — and vary based on the size, weight, packaging and the value of the item.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home and placed in the room of your choice (installation and hookup are not included).
- Deliveries may take up to 6 weeks, and up to 8 weeks when either the buyer or seller are located outside of standard shipping routes.
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, size, location of the buyer and seller, and value of the item.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping is offered and managed by the seller, through a shipper of the seller’s choice.
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion.
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery is offered and managed by the seller, within a limited geography.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the confirmation email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery.