Oil painting on panel
Edition: Unique, Unframed.
Ashlynn Brownings recurring use of grids, networks may recall architectural structures, but these ... moreOil painting on panel
Edition: Unique, Unframed.
Ashlynn Brownings recurring use of grids, networks may recall architectural structures, but these are only created in response to the paint as she works, instinctively.Colors, which play a very important part in Brownings paintings, will also vary depending on her feelings or interests of the moment (nature, fashion trends, or art historical preferences).
Ashlynn Browning is an American abstract painter whose work merges organic and geometric forms through an open-ended process of layering. She lives and works in Raleigh (North Carolina, USA). Browning earned a BA in Studio Art and English at the Meredith College of Raleigh (NC, USA) and, in 2002, a Master of Fine Art in Painting and Printmaking at the university of North Carolina at Greensboro (NC, USA). Browning used to work almost exclusively on paper (up until around 2006), using graphite, charcoal, oil pastel and then mixing those media with paint and collage.Over time, panels began to take over and the paper disappeared, whilst she started to focus almost exclusively on oil painting.Browning never makes initial plans or studies prior to starting an artwork. Intuition, instinct and experimentation are the main drivers of her work.She uses a classical Abstract Expressionist approach to painting: Making a mark, responding to that mark, etc. The only "calculated" part of her work is where she will let a layer sit for a while and just look at it over a period of days, thinking about her next move. That calculated choice may or may not remain in the final piece, but it is still an important part of the process. So in the end, the painting contains a cumulative effect of thoughtful decisions and purely felt acts. Whilst Browning's paintings come about intuitively and are first about paint, much about her own experiences, in particular, the human psyche, in general, is also present within them.Her recurring use of grids, networks, and, since 2013, stacked forms, may recall architectural structures, but these are only created in response to the paint as she works, instinctively.Colors, which play a very important part in Browning's paintings, will also vary depending on her feelings or interests of the moment (nature, fashion trends, or art historical preferences). However, in practice, they will rarely be primary colors, and there will almost always be some Guston pink in her work. My work merges geometric forms with an intuitive, ever changing process. Some of my paintings read as places, of both a geographic and psychological nature. In others, geometric forms function as stand-ins for figures. These figures vary from precarious and toppling to boldly upright and assured. Each possesses an individual personality, mood and implied narrative.Most recently I am interested in stacking forms and exploring the relationships between them. Hexagons and webs are partially buried beneath chunkier forms that play with weight and architecture. The grids and interlocking blocks in this new work bring to mind windows, urban buildings and walls with glimpses into the space behind and around them. Three-dimensional space is implied.The many layers in my pieces speak both to the history of the paintings creation, as well as to the hidden parts of ourselves that we conceal and reveal in time. I know a painting is complete when it has become its own separate entity, one with a sense of dignity and self. Chris Vitiello, an art columnist at Indy Week, said about Brownings work in 2015: Her paintings have resembled distant views or off-center details of unconventional buildings (;). But a longer look reveals more abstract concerns with painterly illusion. Brownings straight-line brushstrokes can be so thick that their raised contours are clearly visible under subsequent layers, as if shed used a housepainters brush. This creates a topography in high-contrast colors, the edges nearly vibrating, that gives the disorienting impression of flatness and extreme depth at once. Buildings, in Brownings paintings, are only a means toward optical and material investigation In an article published in Burnaway in 2015, Shana Dumont Garr, an art historian, curator, writer, and gallery manager, said following a visit to Brownings studio: On her website, Browning includes this quote by Francis Bacon: Man gets tired of himself. Man is obsessed with himself. I would like some day to capture a moment of life in its full violence, its full beauty. That would be the ultimate painting. This desire for unmoored emotion comes through in paintings such as Cantilever. Brownings keen sensitivity to color enables an incredible range of shapes and brushstroke textures to coexist. She has received many grants and awards for her work, notably a grant from the Joan Mitchell Foundation and New American Paintings publication. Browning has extensively exhibited in solo and group shows nationally, mostly on the US East coast. if ART Gallery, Columbia, SC
Whitespace, Atlanta, GA
Hodges Taylor, Charlotte, NC less
- 16ʺW × 0.1ʺD × 20ʺH
- Item Type
- Mint Condition, Original Condition Unaltered, No Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- New New less
- Ashlynn Browning
- Place of Origin
- United States of America
- Art Subject
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
Enter a zip code for precise shipping costs.
Typical Delivery Time: 7-14 days.
All sales are final unless covered under the Buyer Guarantee.
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email email@example.com within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.