Looking to purchase online? Ask the dealer if it's available.
Oil on canvas
Edition: Unique, Unframed.
Although French painter, Georges Braque (1882-1963) shared with Picasso the deep belief that figuration ... moreOil on canvas
Edition: Unique, Unframed.
Although French painter, Georges Braque (1882-1963) shared with Picasso the deep belief that figuration is the very essence of painting, many trustworthy connoisseurs perceive blatant similarities between Annear and Braque.In his work, Annear catches something that one could depict – if possible – as an encounter between the souls of colour and lines. Colours are neither patches nor fields; they are vibrations whose power lies in subtle nuances rather that in strength. His lines are ways, not borders. Annear paints wet on wet; His work is not assembled, but blends.Each of Annears paintings carry a portion of the space that he has been exploring since the beginning of his works. They offer our eyes something which stands beyond our perception.In music, an art that Annear particularly appreciates, a counterpoint (from the Latin "point against point") is about the relashionship between two voices that are harmonious but independant rythmically. Different rythms, different colours, but harmony prevailing.
Jeremy Annear is an English painter who was introduced to St Ives modernism in his early formative years. He lives and works in Cornwall. Annear studied Fine Art Painting and Printmaking at Exeter College of Art in the late sixties. Annear works mostly with oil on board and canvas. The shapes, colors and forms are built up in relief-like layers, resulting in alluring textures, surfaces and edges."I constantly play at laying paint into paint, wet into wet. I have always wanted to throw lots of paint onto my supports. Part of the deepest satisfaction of painting for me has been to achieve exactly what I want with the paint" Jeremy Annear was exposed as a young artist to St Ives group and was influenced by the work of Ben Nicholson, Barbara Hepworth, Roger Hilton and Terry Frost. His paintings share affinities with European Modernists like Braque, Picasso and Miro. Jeremy's abstracted paintings react to the natural geometry and transformations of his beloved Cornish landscape. He has also worked extensively in Germany and Australia and has absorbed influences in his work from both these cultures. Annears work has been widely acclaimed and commented by numerous art critics, curators, art writers, artists and historians, such as Andrew Lambirth (The Spectator), Graham Boyd (Artist), Mercedes Smith (Writer and critic), Ian Collins (Art writer and curator), Nicholas Usherwodd (Art writer and publisher), Dr. Jane Hamilton (Art activist and Historian) or Rachel Barnes (Lecturer at the Tate and writer at the Guardian and The Independant).One of the most eulogistic (but not untrue) comment about Annear comes from Caroline Georgiadis, previously head of sales for British paintings at Christies and currently running her own art consultancy practice: "Jeremy Annear (...) is a European Modernist painter in the vein of great artists such as Paul Klee, Wassily Kandinsky, Joan Miro, Pablo Picasso and Georges Braque."Annear has mostly and regularly exhibited in the UK, but his work was also displayed in Germany, France and The Netherlands.Messums, London, UKCampden Gallery, Gloucestershire, UKLemon Street Gallery, Truro, UK less
- 39.37ʺW × 0.1ʺD × 27.56ʺH
- Item Type
- Mint Condition, Original Condition Unaltered, No Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- New New less
- Jeremy Annear
- Place of Origin
- United Kingdom
- Art Subject
All sales are final 48 hours after delivery, unless otherwise specified.
Note: Made-to-Order items typically include a lead time or custom delivery window, which is detailed in the product description.
For shipping on all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping may be offered on select listings.
- Smaller items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date, while larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- When an item with Free Shipping is returned, the cost of return shipping fees will be charged to the buyer.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item at the time of pickup and avoid shipping costs.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment is arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and DHL.
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box or envelope may be shipped via parcel.
- Shipping charges start at $9 — and vary based on the size, weight, packaging and the value of the item.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home and placed in the room of your choice (installation and hookup are not included).
- Deliveries may take up to 6 weeks, and up to 8 weeks when either the buyer or seller are located outside of standard shipping routes.
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, size, location of the buyer and seller, and value of the item.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping is offered and managed by the seller, through a shipper of the seller’s choice.
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion.
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery is offered and managed by the seller, within a limited geography.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the confirmation email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery.