Encaustic on Okawara paper
Edition: Unique, Unframed.
The title,Guna(2016), is a Sanskrit word meaning ‘string, thread or strand and was ... moreEncaustic on Okawara paper
Edition: Unique, Unframed.
The title,Guna(2016), is a Sanskrit word meaning ‘string, thread or strand and was inspired by Adams Yoga practice. Its a key concept in various schools of Hindu philosophy which states there are 3 gunas: goodness, passion and darkness, all present in everyone and everything, but in different proportions. The interplay of the 3 gunas define the character of someone or something, of nature and determines the progress of life . (Wikipedia)The pieces in this series are printed with pigment encaustic on Japanese paper; they are mounted on panel and coated with medium or stand alone like this work on Okawara paper.These artworks were a reaction to the more serialized and geometric work Adams Was doing, a need to break from that and work in a freeing and more physical way.
Tracey Adams is an American abstract painter and printmaker. Her artworks reflect a strong interest in musical patterns, rhythms, lyrical compositional elements and what she calls a sense of performance. She lives and works in Carmel, California. Adams earned her BA from Mount St. Mary's College in Los Angeles in 1978. She studied printmaking and painting at the School of the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston from 1979 to 1981, and earned her Master's Degree from the New England Conservatory of Music in 1980. She has received several fellowships and grants, including the Pollock-Krasner Foundation Grant in 2015, a grant from the US Department of State and the Ministry of Culture, and a Vermont Studio Center Fellowship. Adams works on panel and paper, using a mixture of paint, encaustic and graphite as well as elements of monotype and collage. Planning and intuition equally inform her process. Often, she will begin a work or a series from the perspective of an exact mathematical formula, planning compositional elements in advance. Other times she will begin with a grid structure then work within that structure, incorporating organic, performative gestures and expressive brushwork. Regardless where a particular work begins, Adams engages in an open, exploratory process that allows the work to evolve. Often the finished result is a mixture of her original idea and her instinct, creating a composition that captures the essence of the harmony of mind and emotion. Her background in music is what most inspires Tracey Adams. Her works draw heavily on musical structure, rhythm and composition. Her color choices speak to her personal surroundings living on a peninsula near Monterrey in central California. The light off of the water, the muting capacity of the fog, the colors of the setting sun and the palette of the lush local flora all find their way into her work. While a graduate student, Adams was able to work often with the composer and artist John Cage, who profoundly influenced her progress. She has said that her work strives to capture the calmness and beauty of an environment she would like to be in herself.I live near the Pacific ocean and walk along the beach everyday - all the beautiful limb-like forms of seaweed and algae find their way into my work as do the colors of the water, sky and tree forms. I work on a continuum of organic gesture to geometry. They represent two distinct, but very real sides of who I am. My mind is very organized;while at the same time, I love to draw in an unrestricted and intuitive way with lots of physical movement. The challenge comes in trying to merge both cohesively. Adams has exhibited extensively in solo and group shows throughout the United States and occasionally in Europe. Work by Adams is part of the permanent collections of several museums, including the Bakersfield Art Museum, the Monterey Museum of Art, the Fresno Art Museum, the Tucson Art Museum, and the Santa Barbara Museum of Art. Her work is also part of multiple corporate collections, including those of Adobe Systems, AT&T Corporate Headquarters, Hallmark Corporate Headquarters, Sony Corporation, and Intel. Kathryn Markel Fine Arts, NY Winfield Gallery, Carmel, Bryant Street Gallery, Palo Alto, CAM.A. Doran Gallery, Tulsa, Patricia Rovzar Gallery, Seattle, Anne Loucks Gallery, Glencoe, Ann Connelly Fine Art, Baton Rouge, LA less
- 25.98ʺW × 0.1ʺD × 38.58ʺH
- Item Type
- Mint Condition, Original Condition Unaltered, No Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- New New less
- Tracey Adams
- Place of Origin
- United States of America
- Art Subject
Enter a zip code for precise shipping costs.
Typical Delivery Time: 7-14 days.
All sales are final unless covered under the Buyer Guarantee.
All sales are final 48 hours after delivery, unless otherwise specified.
Note: Made-to-Order items typically include a lead time or custom delivery window, which is detailed in the product description.
For shipping on all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping may be offered on select listings.
- Smaller items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date, while larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- When an item with Free Shipping is returned, the cost of return shipping fees will be charged to the buyer.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item at the time of pickup and avoid shipping costs.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment is arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and DHL.
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box or envelope may be shipped via parcel.
- Shipping charges start at $9 — and vary based on the size, weight, packaging and the value of the item.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home and placed in the room of your choice (installation and hookup are not included).
- Deliveries may take up to 6 weeks, and up to 8 weeks when either the buyer or seller are located outside of standard shipping routes.
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, size, location of the buyer and seller, and value of the item.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping is offered and managed by the seller, through a shipper of the seller’s choice.
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion.
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery is offered and managed by the seller, within a limited geography.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the confirmation email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery.