Acrylic paint on linen
Edition: Unique, Unframed.
The textured appearance of her paintings emanates from the intervention of common household ... moreAcrylic paint on linen
Edition: Unique, Unframed.
The textured appearance of her paintings emanates from the intervention of common household products such as paper towels during the painting process.Marcy Rosenblat describes herself as having an affinity for process art, a method of art making in which predetermined systems and techniques largely determine the outcome of the work. Rosenblat is inspired by the idea of revelation and obfuscation.Each layer of paint is like a veil, through which viewers can see the inner workings of her craft.
Marcy Rosenblat is an American abstract process painter. Her paintings and prints are layered, colorful and complex. Born in Chicago, Illinois, she currently lives and works in Brooklyn, New York. Rosenblat earned her BFA from the Kansas City Art Institute in Kansas City, Missouri, in 1981, and her MFA from the Vermont College of Fine Arts in 2010. She received a grant from the Women's Art Development Committee in 1998. She taught painting at Parsons School of Design from 1986 to 1989, and since 1995 has been an Adjunct Professor of Fine Arts at the Fashion Institute of Technology, New York, NY. Rosenblat describes herself as having an affinity for process art, a method of art making in which predetermined systems and techniques largely determine the outcome of the work. The textured appearance of her paintings emanates from the intervention of common household products such as paper towels during the painting process. To begin each painting, she lays the canvas flat on a moveable easel then pours paint onto the surface. She then tilts the easel in predetermined ways, turning it then tilting it again, allowing the paint to drip down the surface. She then presses the paper towels or other textured products into the wet paint. The pressing leaves behind the imprint of the surface of the textured product, while simultaneously revealing the under layers of paint. It is a process of covering and revealing. Meanwhile, each successive layer of paint drips onto the sides of the canvas, so that in the end all colors used in the painting can be discovered on the periphery, even though some of them may have ultimately been obscured or removed from the surface. Rosenblat is inspired by the idea of revelation and obfuscation- what we see versus what is hidden from us. She wants viewers to see her final product as a finished phenomenon, but also wants to offer them a chance to peek behind the curtain, so to speak. Each layer of paint is like a veil, through which viewers can see the inner workings of her craft. She is inspired by the idea that this will invite people to look more closely at things. Rosenblat is also inspired by the patterns she sees on ordinary surfaces, especially those not usually related to painting. That was the genesis of her choice to start using paper towels in her work, and in the same vein she often photographs the surfaces of the ground, the street, and objects she sees in the store then uses those photographs to create textures and patterns that will serve as layers of color in her paintings and prints.Like the person trying to see something through a curtain I continue to paint until I find clarity through the painting. I...use a household pattern like the pattern of a paper towel, as a structural device to suggest the layer between viewer and object. The pattern is just familiar enough not to get looked at directly and the pictorial illusion it creates causes another kind of blurring or obscuring...I want my paintings to exist at the point where the viewer has just enough clarity to want to see a little bit more. Marcy Rosenblat has exhibited extensively, especially in and around New York City. Selected exhibitions include Fordham University, Galerie Berlin am Meer, The Rawls Museum, and the Nelson Atkins Museum of Art. Her work has also been featured on Hyperallergic. Atlantic Gallery, NY, NY less
- 24.02ʺW × 0.1ʺD × 24.02ʺH
- Item Type
- Mint Condition, Original Condition Unaltered, No Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- New New less
- Marcy Rosenblat
- Place of Origin
- United States of America
- Art Subject
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
Enter a zip code for precise shipping costs.
Typical Delivery Time: 7-14 days.
All sales are final unless covered under the Buyer Guarantee.
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email firstname.lastname@example.org within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.