Edouard Gilles owned and operated his atelier in Paris from 1868-1884. His shop or atelier was one of only a ...
moreEdouard Gilles owned and operated his atelier in Paris from 1868-1884. His shop or atelier was one of only a few of that period known for their exquisite artistry in creating large relief decoration barbotine. Edouard Gilles specifically, was known for his elaborate naturalistic gros relief floral work. The work to finish one realistic flower, let alone several, was extremely involved and difficult to complete. The Kaolin clay was manipulated to a paper- thin fineness, formed into flowers, colored, applied to a vessel, glazed and fired. During the firing, if a mistake was made, months of work could be ruined. Few pieces remain intact today due to the fragility of the relief of decoration. His period of production, only 16 years, make his pieces rare. Many went unstamped and unsigned. Other signatures are those of one of his artisans under his tutelage/workshop.
This particular oval gros relief vase or jardiniere (planter), has a melded green and black ground coloration with areas having painted leaves. The front has a stalk of open roses combined with stalks of smaller flowers. The back has a single stalk of flowers and leaves. There are handles on either side with gadrooned half rounds on the outside. It is marked on the bottom EG on a raised rectangle with another beneath that is indecipherable. The number 7 is beside this.
From France, this antique gros relief vase by Edouard Gilles will be the highlight of any area it is placed. less
- 15.75ʺW × 10ʺD × 6.12ʺH
- Late 19th Century
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Good Condition, Original Condition Unaltered, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Good antique condition with old restorations, minor nicks and abrasions to paint and glazes Good antique condition with old restorations, minor nicks and abrasions to paint and glazes less
- Place of Origin
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
Enter a zip code for precise shipping costs.
Typical Delivery Time: 7-14 days.
All sales are final unless covered under the Buyer Guarantee.
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email email@example.com within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.