Presenting an absolutely gorgeous and extremely unique and rare 19th Century British Tunbridge ware lap desk.
This lap desk is ... morePresenting an absolutely gorgeous and extremely unique and rare 19th Century British Tunbridge ware lap desk.
This lap desk is unlike any of it’s kind we have seen before.
From circa 1840-1860.
Made of ebony with gorgeous marquetry inlay on all sides and classic Tunbridge ware micro-mosaic all around the border.
The marquetry inlay appears to be various different woods, namely, maple, walnut and satinwood.
What makes this box even more intriguing and of extreme desirability is the subject matter of the inlay and mosaic.
Whist, Tunbridge Wells is located in England, this box has a very definite ‘Celtic’ feel to it ! The central marquetry has lizards and birds but the main character is a ‘fairy’.
The mosaic border gives us an even greater hint as to the market this was made for , probably ‘Wales’, due to the mosaic dragons all along the border.
The central marquetry is not mosaic inlay but solid marquetry veneers, which is quite unusual. less
- 13.3ʺW × 9.5ʺD × 3.5ʺH
- Mid 19th Century
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Good Condition, Original Condition Unaltered, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Good condition for its age and use. Some minor losses and repairs. A visible crack on the front panel. Lid ... moreGood condition for its age and use. Some minor losses and repairs. A visible crack on the front panel. Lid does not close properly. Still very good due to its rarity. less
- Place of Origin
Enter a zip code for precise shipping costs.
Typical Delivery Time: 7-14 days.
All sales are final unless covered under the Buyer Guarantee.
All sales are final 48 hours after delivery, unless otherwise specified.
Note: Made-to-Order items typically include a lead time or custom delivery window, which is detailed in the product description.
For shipping on all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping may be offered on select listings.
- Smaller items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date, while larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- When an item with Free Shipping is returned, the cost of return shipping fees will be charged to the buyer.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item at the time of pickup and avoid shipping costs.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment is arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and DHL.
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box or envelope may be shipped via parcel.
- Shipping charges start at $9 — and vary based on the size, weight, packaging and the value of the item.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home and placed in the room of your choice (installation and hookup are not included).
- Deliveries may take up to 6 weeks, and up to 8 weeks when either the buyer or seller are located outside of standard shipping routes.
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, size, location of the buyer and seller, and value of the item.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping is offered and managed by the seller, through a shipper of the seller’s choice.
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion.
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery is offered and managed by the seller, within a limited geography.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the confirmation email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery.