Presenting a stunning 19th century French slate and bronze block by Marti.
Made circa 1860 by the famous French Clockmaker, ... morePresenting a stunning 19th century French slate and bronze block by Marti.
Made circa 1860 by the famous French Clockmaker, J. Marti et Cie of Paris.
Marti clocks are highly desirable and highly collectible, but this clock is one of the finest examples of a Marti black slate and bronze mantel clock we have ever seen. The bronze detailing is special.
From the top, the clock is topped by a floral and ball bronze finial on square plinth or platform. Then it extends to an angular arched pediment with bronze floral wreath insert into the center. The next section, consists of a central bronze scene of 2 cherubs floating on water with a fish. This is flanked on either side by a floral rose medalion in bronze. It the extends downwards with 2 Corinthian style bronze columns, with the main insert being bronze neoclassical or goddess figures (each one different than the other). The dial, clock face, hands and roman numerals behind glass and bordered in gilt bronze decoration in Mint condition. Beneath the clock face there is again floral bouquets with a central bronze lion head. The 2 columns are based with gilt bronze platforms. The base platform again, has a central bronze wreath and swag, flanked on either side by armorial shields. It sits on four gilt bronze platform feet. The movement is open at the rear and it has pendulum with a striking movement (probably an 8 day movement) that strikes on the hour and half hour. It has its original key. It needs servicing to have working properly but is missing no parts.
It is marked “Medaille de Bronze – J. Marti & Cie” and has serial numbers.
” Medaille de Bronze” means bronze medal which was the award received in 1860. The name of the company was originally J. Marti et Cie and then, Samuel Marti & Cie. The medal, a second class one, was received at the Paris Exhibition of 1855. The company also received a Medaille d”Or(gold Medal) in Paris, 1900. less
- 11.2ʺW × 6.8ʺD × 26ʺH
- Mid 19th Century
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Good Condition, Original Condition Unaltered, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Very good. Needs a servicing to be fully operational. 2 very minor repairs to the slate on the top corners. ... moreVery good. Needs a servicing to be fully operational. 2 very minor repairs to the slate on the top corners. Otherwise, near mint. less
- Place of Origin
Enter a zip code for precise shipping costs.
Typical Delivery Time: 7-14 days.
All sales are final unless covered under the Buyer Guarantee.
All sales are final 48 hours after delivery, unless otherwise specified.
Note: Made-to-Order items typically include a lead time or custom delivery window, which is detailed in the product description.
For shipping on all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping may be offered on select listings.
- Smaller items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date, while larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- When an item with Free Shipping is returned, the cost of return shipping fees will be charged to the buyer.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item at the time of pickup and avoid shipping costs.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment is arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and DHL.
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box or envelope may be shipped via parcel.
- Shipping charges start at $9 — and vary based on the size, weight, packaging and the value of the item.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home and placed in the room of your choice (installation and hookup are not included).
- Deliveries may take up to 6 weeks, and up to 8 weeks when either the buyer or seller are located outside of standard shipping routes.
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, size, location of the buyer and seller, and value of the item.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping is offered and managed by the seller, through a shipper of the seller’s choice.
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion.
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery is offered and managed by the seller, within a limited geography.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the confirmation email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery.