Presenting a fabulous and very rare, original early-19th century chromolithograph engraving after a painting by John Frederick Herring Snr, engraved ...
morePresenting a fabulous and very rare, original early-19th century chromolithograph engraving after a painting by John Frederick Herring Snr, engraved by Charles Hunt, circa 1833.
This original engraving is of “MARGRAVE”, ”The Winner of the Great St. Leger Stakes at Doncaster, 1832” shown with his victorious rider/jockey, Jem Robinson.
The engraving reports that of the 1832 St. Leger, there were 73 Subscribers of which 17 started.
Margrave’s breeding is recorded on the print as being ” By Muley, out of Principessas dam, by Election O.
The Owner of Margate is recorded as ” The Property of J. Gully Esq.”.
“To Whom this Print by permission is most respectfully dedicated by the Publishers, J.F. Herring and S & J Fuller”.
“London published February 21, 1833 by S. & J. Fuller, at their Sporting Gallery, 34 Rathbone Place and at J.F. Herring S, Six Mile Bottom near Newmarket”.
“Painted by J. F. Herring , S.M.B. Newmarket”.
This Aquantint beautifully captures the Winning Horse and Jockey that were victorious in the 1832 running of the St. Leger Stakes at Newmarket by John Frederick Herring, Sr.., one of Great Britain’s most renown sporting artists who did commissioned work for the Duchess of Kent and Queen Victoria. Herring’s Original aquatint, hand-colored prints are EXTREMELY POPULAR and HIGHLY SOUGHT AFTER. The engraving is presented under glass in its original oak frame with gilt fillets.
This original Chromolithograph or hand colored aquatint of Margave is by the very famous and highly desirable and sought after British Artist John Frederick Herring Senior.
The engraving is hugely impressive and in superb condition for its age !
In its original frame. less
- 25ʺW × 1ʺD × 22ʺH
- Early 19th Century
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Good Condition, Original Condition Unaltered, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- The engraving has some very minor discolorations in the original paper. However, this is consistent with it's age and not ... moreThe engraving has some very minor discolorations in the original paper. However, this is consistent with it's age and not serious. We would not recommend any restoration to this print. less
- Place of Origin
Enter a zip code for precise shipping costs.
Typical Delivery Time: 7-14 days.
All sales are final unless covered under the Buyer Guarantee.
All sales are final 48 hours after delivery, unless otherwise specified.
Note: Made-to-Order items typically include a lead time or custom delivery window, which is detailed in the product description.
For shipping on all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping may be offered on select listings.
- Smaller items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date, while larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- When an item with Free Shipping is returned, the cost of return shipping fees will be charged to the buyer.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item at the time of pickup and avoid shipping costs.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment is arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and DHL.
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box or envelope may be shipped via parcel.
- Shipping charges start at $9 — and vary based on the size, weight, packaging and the value of the item.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home and placed in the room of your choice (installation and hookup are not included).
- Deliveries may take up to 6 weeks, and up to 8 weeks when either the buyer or seller are located outside of standard shipping routes.
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, size, location of the buyer and seller, and value of the item.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping is offered and managed by the seller, through a shipper of the seller’s choice.
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion.
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery is offered and managed by the seller, within a limited geography.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the confirmation email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery.