Looking to purchase online? Ask the dealer if it's available.
*Rare, Early and Important, Coffee table designed by Robsjohn Gibbings for Widdicomb 1952, Model 1640. The table is in excellent ...
more*Rare, Early and Important, Coffee table designed by Robsjohn Gibbings for Widdicomb 1952, Model 1640. The table is in excellent original condition with the beautiful and original light green edge glass. The base is comprised of solid mahogany pillars penetrated by solid brass bars finished in a beautiful gold.
T.H. Robsjohn-Gibbings 1905–1976
Terence Harold Robsjohn-Gibbings was born in England in 1905. While studying architecture at the University of London, Robsjohn-Gibbings was fascinated by the restrained elegance of Greek and Roman art, so he often spent his spare time wandering the galleries of the British Museum. In 1929, he moved to New York where he worked for famed tastemaker Charles Duveen before establishing a career as an independent interior designer in 1936. In 1938, Harper’s Bazaar stated that Robsjohn-Gibbings felt that “the modern should stem from the very ancient,” as he believed that furniture should be steeped in the symmetry and rationality of Greek design. In 1946, Robsjohn-Gibbings had the chance to make his ideals manifest when he was invited to design a line of furniture for Widdicomb Furniture Company. His furniture line was hailed as a triumph by House Beautiful, and his design for a butler’s table was featured in the landmark Good Design exhibit of 1951 at the Museum of Modern Art in New York.
In addition to working as an interior designer, Robsjohns-Gibbings was also an astute critic of design culture in America and he was noted for his humorous novels like Goodbye, Mr. Chippendale, which poked fun at the American craze for all things antique in interior design. During the 1960s, Robsjohn-Gibbings moved to Athens, the birthplace of classicism, and his apartment overlooked the Parthenon. While living in Greece, Robsjohn-Gibbings designed interiors for both Aristotle Onassis and the Niarchos family. Robsjohn-Gibbings passed away in 1976. He left behind a legacy of classically-derived forms, and his elegant works reside in the collections of the Museum of Modern Art and the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York, among many others. less
- 45ʺW × 45ʺD × 13ʺH
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Very Good Condition, Original Condition Unaltered, No Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Excellent original condition. Wear appropriate with age & use. Excellent original condition. Wear appropriate with age & use. less
- T.H. Robsjohn Gibbings
- T.H. Robsjohn Gibbings
- Place of Origin
- United States of America
- Table Shape
All sales are final 48 hours after delivery, unless otherwise specified.
Note: Made-to-Order items typically include a lead time or custom delivery window, which is detailed in the product description.
For shipping on all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping may be offered on select listings.
- Smaller items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date, while larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- When an item with Free Shipping is returned, the cost of return shipping fees will be charged to the buyer.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item at the time of pickup and avoid shipping costs.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment is arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and DHL.
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box or envelope may be shipped via parcel.
- Shipping charges start at $9 — and vary based on the size, weight, packaging and the value of the item.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home and placed in the room of your choice (installation and hookup are not included).
- Deliveries may take up to 6 weeks, and up to 8 weeks when either the buyer or seller are located outside of standard shipping routes.
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, size, location of the buyer and seller, and value of the item.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping is offered and managed by the seller, through a shipper of the seller’s choice.
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion.
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery is offered and managed by the seller, within a limited geography.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the confirmation email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery.
The DECASO Buyer Guarantee ensures that you have complete peace of mind when
making a purchase on DECASO in the event that your item:
- Does not arrive
- Is broken during transit
- Is materially different than what you purchased
- All sales are final on Made-to-Order items, some jewelry and limited selection of other items as noted in the returns and cancellations section of the product description.
- For all other items, sales are final 48 hours after delivery (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below).
- To request a return, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and include the order number and the reason for your return request.
- On approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales are final once buyer or buyer’s agent takes possession of an item.
- Upon inspection, if you decide not to move forward with the purchase, you or your agent must refuse the item at the time of pickup/delivery from the seller. Once you have taken possession of the item, all sales are final. Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a refund.
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason, with the exception of Made-to-Order items, where supplies have been purchased or work begun on the item.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return and you will be responsible for the cost of shipping.