Looking to purchase online? Ask the dealer if it's available.
Beautiful vintage Swedish kilim rug by Marianne Richter for Marta Maas, country of origin or rug type: Scandinavia rug, circa ...
moreBeautiful vintage Swedish kilim rug by Marianne Richter for Marta Maas, country of origin or rug type: Scandinavia rug, circa 1950s.
Swedish rugs and carpets have a long history in Scandinavian weaving which reaches right into the Modern period. An established form of Swedish folk weaving, “Rollakans” were used as coverlets or flat woven tapestry rugs. Swedish rugs and carpets are the product of ancient weaving traditions transported from countries in the Asian Steppe on epic journeys through harsh Arctic conditions. Evolving from a practical fur-like cold weather garment into a stylish coverlet, the Rya was the premier all-purpose textile for the Scandinavian region.
After many years of creating long-pile Ryas and flat-woven carpets, Swedish weavers developed a passion for designs incorporating simple geometric patterns and artful motifs based on regional folklore. By the 20th century, Swedish rugs were international art objects that were partly the product of government funding. Swedish master weavers and textile artists continued to grow their trendsetting style with shaggy carpets, bold works of art and colorful rugs that epitomize modern, midcentury designs.
Vintage Swedish rugs and carpets have been the benefactors of the recent resurgence in Mid-Century Modern interiors. Rugs from Sweden are known for incorporating modernist motifs and designs which naturally go perfectly in any modern decor or setting. As the demand increases for the Art Deco and vintage rugs, people can expect the prices of the Swedish rugs to escalate over the next few years.
With that said, Swedish rugs and carpets are probably the best value, simply put, for a fraction of what it would cost to get a good (not great) midcentury modernist painting, one could buy any one of a number of the best Swedish rugs that ever made. It is because of this simple fact that people are now buying Swedish rugs and using them as wall hangings or tapestries. There is no doubt that the Swedish rugs and carpets have equally as much artistic value as any painting but since the price points are so much less this begs the question, why buy a modernist painting when you could own a Swedish rug that is equally as beautiful and is far less expensive. less
- 7′4″ × 7′6″ and 0.5″ thick
- Mid 20th Century
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Very Good Condition, Original Condition Unaltered, No Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Excellent Excellent less
- Marianne Richter
- Place of Origin
All sales are final 48 hours after delivery, unless otherwise specified.
Note: Made-to-Order items typically include a lead time or custom delivery window, which is detailed in the product description.
For shipping on all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping may be offered on select listings.
- Smaller items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date, while larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- When an item with Free Shipping is returned, the cost of return shipping fees will be charged to the buyer.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item at the time of pickup and avoid shipping costs.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment is arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and DHL.
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box or envelope may be shipped via parcel.
- Shipping charges start at $9 — and vary based on the size, weight, packaging and the value of the item.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home and placed in the room of your choice (installation and hookup are not included).
- Deliveries may take up to 6 weeks, and up to 8 weeks when either the buyer or seller are located outside of standard shipping routes.
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, size, location of the buyer and seller, and value of the item.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping is offered and managed by the seller, through a shipper of the seller’s choice.
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion.
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery is offered and managed by the seller, within a limited geography.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the confirmation email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery.