Looking to purchase online? Ask the dealer if it's available.
Beautiful vintage Swedish kilim rug by Marianne Richter for Marta Maas, country of origin or rug type: Scandinavia rug, circa ...
moreBeautiful vintage Swedish kilim rug by Marianne Richter for Marta Maas, country of origin or rug type: Scandinavia rug, circa 1950s.
Swedish rugs and carpets have a long history in Scandinavian weaving which reaches right into the Modern period. An established form of Swedish folk weaving, “Rollakans” were used as coverlets or flat woven tapestry rugs. Swedish rugs and carpets are the product of ancient weaving traditions transported from countries in the Asian Steppe on epic journeys through harsh Arctic conditions. Evolving from a practical fur-like cold weather garment into a stylish coverlet, the Rya was the premier all-purpose textile for the Scandinavian region.
After many years of creating long-pile Ryas and flat-woven carpets, Swedish weavers developed a passion for designs incorporating simple geometric patterns and artful motifs based on regional folklore. By the 20th century, Swedish rugs were international art objects that were partly the product of government funding. Swedish master weavers and textile artists continued to grow their trendsetting style with shaggy carpets, bold works of art and colorful rugs that epitomize modern, midcentury designs.
Vintage Swedish rugs and carpets have been the benefactors of the recent resurgence in Mid-Century Modern interiors. Rugs from Sweden are known for incorporating modernist motifs and designs which naturally go perfectly in any modern decor or setting. As the demand increases for the Art Deco and vintage rugs, people can expect the prices of the Swedish rugs to escalate over the next few years.
With that said, Swedish rugs and carpets are probably the best value, simply put, for a fraction of what it would cost to get a good (not great) midcentury modernist painting, one could buy any one of a number of the best Swedish rugs that ever made. It is because of this simple fact that people are now buying Swedish rugs and using them as wall hangings or tapestries. There is no doubt that the Swedish rugs and carpets have equally as much artistic value as any painting but since the price points are so much less this begs the question, why buy a modernist painting when you could own a Swedish rug that is equally as beautiful and is far less expensive. less
- 7′4″ × 7′6″ and 0.5″ thick
- Mid 20th Century
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Very Good Condition, Original Condition Unaltered, No Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Excellent Excellent less
- Marianne Richter
- Place of Origin
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email firstname.lastname@example.org within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.