Original oil painting on wood panel. Ready to hang. Framing optional.
Born in Montreal, Quebec 1953, and married to ... moreOriginal oil painting on wood panel. Ready to hang. Framing optional.
Born in Montreal, Quebec 1953, and married to the painter Teresa Cullen, the artist's family moved to the USA in 1954, he grew up in Philadelphia and Syracuse NY. He studied at Le lycée Fustel-de-Coulanges in Strasbourg France (1967-68). In 1970 he returned to Montreal and completed art studies at Concordia University (BFA 1978) where he met his wife and fellow artist Teresa Cullen. By 1980 they were living and painting in Toronto at a studio on King St W and Dufferin. A regular exhibition career began with the Gadatsy Gallery in Yorkville (1980-87), followed by a switch to Bau-Xi Galleries in 1988 where he is still represented. Rising studio rental costs resulted in a move north of the city where the artists set up a country studio in Grey County. In 1997 after completing a MA degree at U of Toronto the couple moved to a new country studio in Oro-Medonte ON near Barrie where they continue to work.
Marchessault's work has developed over the years from representational through abstraction to a blend of approaches displayed in exhibitions nationally and internationally. Galleries in both Canada and the US represent him, showing his work regularly. Marchessault paintings are widely collected with hundreds of works in both corporate and private collections.
"When you look at a tree and perceive its stillness, you become still yourself." --Ekhart Tolle
My paintings are an active response to a sense of wonder at being in the world. They do not address any specific art discourse or theory.
Using a simple landscape format provides a surface on which I try to express and/or reflect on my mind-state while contemplating experiences I have had - mostly outdoors.
Since the late 1970s my works have gone through a range of stylistic treatments with a focus on space, distance, atmosphere, light, energy and textures - presented on a two dimensional surface using paint. I compose and paint images that resonate between principle subjects and surrounding spaces.
Sometimes the sensation of momentarily loosing "myself" occurs in open places; a perception where boundaries are only shimmering illusions and a holistic presence is pervasive.
"I see trees, plants and bushes as tracing energetic linkages between earth and sky. The tree breathes what we exhale. When we exhale, the tree breathes. So. We have a common destiny with the tree. We are all from the earth." --(Floyd Red Crow)
My landscape paintings are composed from memories of an experience. I use memory as a filtering agent to distill an image for a painting, discarding useless details. Sometimes I do on-site drawings or take photographs (which pile up in my studio); but I do not generally refer to them much while making a painting. When a painting is complete it must reflect an emotional sensation that calls to mind some aspect of my remembered perceptions. It just needs to "feel right".
Tree, arbor, garden, realist abstract, contemplation, peace, zen, sky, summer, fall, bonsai, leaves, pink, nature, blue, purple, branches, large, statement, beige, cream, sky blue less
- 24ʺW × 2ʺD × 36ʺH
- Item Type
- Mint Condition, Original Condition Unaltered, No Imperfections
- Robert Marchessault
- Art Subject
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
Enter a zip code for precise shipping costs.
All sales are final unless covered under the Buyer Guarantee.
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email email@example.com within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.