LOVELY Art Deco, cold painted, figurine of a dancing girl.
This is a really pretty little Art Deco figurine on ... moreLOVELY Art Deco, cold painted, figurine of a dancing girl.
This is a really pretty little Art Deco figurine on an onyx plinth.
The girl is in a dancing pose with her front leg extended and her arms backwards holding onto a baton.
The figurine is made of a base metal, probably spelter, and cold painted in a chrome finish with brown hair on the girl.
There is beautiful detail to the girl’s face and hair.
She is wearing a period ‘outfit’ of short pants and a halter top, CLASSIC Art Deco !!
There have been some minor repairs, slight chip to onyx base. The baton is a painted replacement. But these no not adversely affect the beauty of the piece. The reduced price reflects the damage.
The figurine is not signed, but MOST DEFINITELY is in the style of the famous Art Deco sculptor Josef. Lorenzl. It is STRIKINGLY SIMILAR to other works by Lorenzl.
Josef Lorenzl (1 September 1892 – 15 August 1950) was an Austrian sculptor and ceramicist of the Art Deco period, the same era as Ferdinand Preiss (1882–1943) and Demetre Chiparus (1886–1947)
Lorenzl was born on 1 September 1882 in Vienna, Austria and died there on 15 August 1950. Little is known about his early years, but more is known about his later life. Lorenzl started his career working at a foundry at the Vienna Arsenal where he learned the techniques of bronze casting. The Vienna Arsenal was a military storage complex located in the south-eastern part of Vienna.
While at the Vienna Arsenal, Lorenzl produced many bronze and chryselephantine sculptures, the latter using both bronze and ivory, and captivated by the female form he became famed for his shapely dancing girls with long, elegant legs and closed eyes. These pieces of his were signed "Enzl", "Lor", "R. Lor", "Renz" or "Renzl". Occasionally the name “Crejo” appears on his pieces, Crejo having been a painter and one of Lorenzl's friends, and who sometimes applied colour to the pieces. These joint works are sought-after items. The large majority of Lorenzl's figurines were attached to Brazilian green onyx plinths.
Lorenzl's talents also extended to being a gifted ceramicist. He produced pieces for Goldscheider, working from a studio on company grounds. As with his chryselephantine pieces, his ceramic works were in great demand and became the embodiment of the Art Déco period. Famous amongst these is "The Butterfly Girl" after the famous dancer Niddy Impekoven from the 1920s. Lorenzl also worked for two other Viennese firms, Porzellanfabrik Hertwig & Co. and Keramos Porcelain.
'Keramos' or 'Wiener Kunst-Keramik und Porzellan Manufaktur AG' was founded in 1910 by several disabled war veterans, subsidised by Austria and later became a public company, directed by Otto Köller, and Rudof and Heinrich Wolf. It was located in Schwarze Adlerstiege, while the factory operated from 17 Schleiergasse.
After Lorenzl's death on 15 August 1950, his wife Anna (Njura) Lorenzl, destroyed a large number of his figurines. less
- 5ʺW × 6.25ʺD × 10.5ʺH
- Early 20th Century
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Good Condition, Restored, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- There have been some minor repairs. Slight chip to onyx base. The baton is a painted replacement with repair to ... moreThere have been some minor repairs. Slight chip to onyx base. The baton is a painted replacement with repair to fingers holding baton. But these no not adversely affect the beauty of the piece. less
- Josef Lorenzl
- Place of Origin
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
All sales are final unless covered under the Buyer Guarantee.
More From This DealerView All
- Porcelain Models and Figurines
- Metal Models and Figurines
- Ceramic Models and Figurines
- Art Deco Models and Figurines
- Brown Models and Figurines
- Silver Models and Figurines
- Art Nouveau Models and Figurines
- White Models and Figurines
- Dallas Models and Figurines
- Paint Models and Figurines
- Chrome Models and Figurines
- Gemstone Models and Figurines
- Ivory Models and Figurines
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email firstname.lastname@example.org within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.