Circa 1875-1889, large two-part French Provincial faience jardinière / planter, entirely hand painted, with its matching rimmed stand that can also ...
moreCirca 1875-1889, large two-part French Provincial faience jardinière / planter, entirely hand painted, with its matching rimmed stand that can also be used as a jardin d'hiver stool, with the signature of Antoine Montagnon (1838-1899), owner of the Faiencerie d'Art in Nevers created in the 17th century, 1648.
These two 19th century pieces, column base and jardinière, are decorated in the 17th century Nevers majolica manner in polychrome glaze, yellow, orange, aqua, blue, green tints on white with Italian, Moorish, Mythological and Persian influences, with nicely detailed heads of Pan as handles, panels of foliage and scrolls around the rims.
Colors are vibrant and cheerful and the size impressive.
Antoine Montagnon bought the existing business in 1875 during the time of the decline of the potteries in Nevers. Despite the closing of centuries-old manufacturers in Nevers due to the English competition, especially Minton, he made Nevers Faience famous again. Because of his success, particularly due to the admirable reception of the public and the critics at the Great Expositions in Paris of 1878 and 1889, he was known as "The Renovator of the Faience of Nevers." He kept the tradition alive and his creative spirit was passed on future generations until 2015 when the Company closed.
Dimensions of planter: D 19 in. x W 24 x H 19.75
Dimensions of column: Diameter 16 in. x H 23.4 . less
- 24ʺW × 19ʺD × 43ʺH
- Late 19th Century
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Good Condition, Original Condition Unaltered, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
Wear consistent with age and use. Good
Wear consistent with age and use. less
- Place of Origin
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
All sales are final unless covered under the Buyer Guarantee.
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email firstname.lastname@example.org within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.